Need Help Brewing Beer?
  • scoobscoob
    Brewing beer or Homebrewing is an endless learning process. I like to think of it as a long walk, from where I am I can look back and see others where I was a while ago.

There is almost no situation or problem that another brewer hasn't experienced and can help out with a resolution or just a word or two to ease your mind.

Go ahead and ask away, If we havent been there already, then we will forge ahead and tackle your problem together and we all learn a bit more.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    What Scoob said, Happy to help!
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Feel free to post in here your questions. Mid brew if you need us. 
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Djsethall said:

click on the star off to the right side of the thread puts it on your email notifications. ask me how i know.  b-(
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Test
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Can someone post here OS I can see that the notification works?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Can someone post in the help  line as a test?
  • C_BC_B
    Bam. right in the kisser.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Help me, my beer is delicious and I don't know what to do!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Drink it
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Actually, it may be poisoned, send a sample to me for review. Pm me for the address.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    not really a help thing, just want your take on this. i don't make many lagers, i'm an ale man. but sometimes i will whip up a premium american lager for some of my lagery friends.
    anyway, i make this really simple lager, here is the recipe
    6 lbs briess light DME
    1/2 yakima magnum @ 60
    1 oz centennial @ 2
    whirlfloc
    saflager 23 dry yeast

pretty much the most basic recipe in existence. however, i have made this three times and all three times, no airlock activity at all! it doesn't even push the little cup up to the top. it always ferments though. primary ferm temp is 58.
    i know, i know, "your bucket is leaking air", but i have checked that, and checked how the airlock is seated, and switched airlocks. always turns into a decent, basic lager.

thoughts???
  • ThymThym
    If it ferments there is CO2 produced. It has to go somewhere, so it must be escaping somewhere.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i agree. can it phase through the water if it is really slow? some of my ciders do this, very little airlock activity, but i can always see the co2 dissolving in the airlock vodka even though the airlock isn't bubbling.
  • ThymThym

i agree. can it phase through the water if it is really slow? some of my ciders do this, very little airlock activity, but i can always see the co2 dissolving in the airlock vodka even though the airlock isn't bubbling.

If its slow enough it's reasonable to say that could happen. Slightly elevated pressure on the inside, lower on the other will make is dissolve easier on the generating end and diffuse away on the outside.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Sorry, my phone was messed up and not receiving emails.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

If it ferments there is CO2 produced. It has to go somewhere, so it must be escaping somewhere.

i've always been curious about the maximum yeast tolerance for pressure and co2 levels. if i ferment in a keg, when will the yeast die off?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Water can't be pressurized
  • djsethalldjsethall
    The pressure is in the small gas layer at the top of the keg. IMHO I would never ferment in a cornie keg. Have you seen my fermenter setup?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Djsethall said:

The pressure is in the small gas layer at the top of the keg. IMHO I would never ferment in a cornie keg. Have you seen my fermenter setup?

i use buckets.
  • ThymThym
    Djsethall said:

Water can't be pressurized

not to be critical, but water can be pressurized, it's at the same pressure as the gas layer above it +effects of gravity. Think of a pressure washer, the water in the hose is pressurized, it's at 2200psi or whatever.

I think what you meant is that water can't be compressed, which for all intents and purposes, is true.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Yeah, thats what I meant
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    how much corn sugar for priming can grolsch style swing tops handle? you think 7 ounces will make them break?
    wanna really carbonate a cyser as much as i can.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    4 ounces to 5 gallons should get you 2.4 volumes. I wouldnt go above 5 ounces per 5 gallons or you get bottle bombs
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this is the thing though, swing tops are rated to handle 4 volumes, and i want a super carbonated cyser for extra sparkle. what i am trying to figure out is how much corn cugar it takes to get to 4 volumes.
  • jlwjlw

this is the thing though, swing tops are rated to handle 4 volumes, and i want a super carbonated cyser for extra sparkle. what i am trying to figure out is how much corn cugar it takes to get to 4 volumes.

Based on the Tastybrew Calculator it's 8.5 oz to get 4 volumes.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

• frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i had never seen that link before. thanks, that's just what i was looking for.
  • jlwjlw
    Belgian dark candi sugar goes into the boil? Correct? And at what time?
  • jlwjlw
    jlw said:

Belgian dark candi sugar goes into the boil? Correct? And at what time?

Yes in the boil and the last 5 minutes.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hi, i need help. my beer tastes too good. its a problem for my career.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

hi, i need help. my beer tastes too good. its a problem for my career.

you should send it to me. i can handle it.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    Test.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    I need help!
  • FerminatorFerminator
    What size hose should I buy for my 61/2 gallon carboy. ( for a blow off tube)
    I need a timely response. Please.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I would go with 3/8 vinyl and it should fit the bung
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Bung Hole
  • FerminatorFerminator
    djsethall said:

I would go with 3/8 vinyl and it should fit the bung

Thanks your the man! But can't I just buy a big hose and jam it in?
  • ThymThym
    i use 3/8 on my sanke setup because krausen never gets that high. I used 5/8 when working with carboys. i think the 5/8 fit over the cut-off top of an air-lock.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    I'll buy the 3/8 but I think it will blow the bung! I've gone thru 3 airlocks In under two hours.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    Lakewood said:

i use 3/8 on my sanke setup because krausen never gets that high. I used 5/8 when working with carboys. i think the 5/8 fit over the cut-off top of an air-lock.

The problem I have now is the glass is slippery due to the volcano effect.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    So get a clean cloth soaked in sanitizer, clean up what you can being careful to use fresh cloth area for each wipe. This is a borderline maneuver as your beer is open to the air for a moment or two. It can be done if done carefully.
  • jlwjlw
    When doing hop additions at one minute or at flame out do you let the wort rest for 30 min or so before transfer to the fermenter
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I generally will let it sit for a minute or two and allow the hop bag to sit fully in the wort. As it chills, the aromatics come from the hops and into the wort.
  • jlwjlw
    Should I use washed yeast that is 6 months or older?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    It depends. Did you put it into low temp storage? You could get a microscope and a hectocytometer with some blue dye and test the viability of the yeast. I hope this helps. You could always make a new starter and check for krausen after a few days off ferment.
  • jlwjlw
    The yeast has been in the kegeragor since then. I'm wondering if I just should wait to do this brew until I have new yeast? I'm in no real hurry to get this going.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Go for it try making a fresh starter
  • jlwjlw
    When you say make a fresh starter are you referring to doing a second stage? I have a starter going that I started last night.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Second stage
  • jlwjlw
    I had a beer i was supposed to bottle today. I just checked gravity and it's at 1.024 and recipe called for 1.012. This beer has been bulk aged for two months.

I think its too late to try and get it down any further to dry out? Should I pitch again? or just go with it? The yeast was washed Wyeast 3711 I really would have thought it would have taken this beer down to at least FG if not lower.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i would aerate a little and re pitch, but i don't like sweeter finishing beers.
  • jlwjlw
    Ok. I will have to wait until I can get to the lhbs. What yeast are you thinking? us 05? something else?
  • ThymThym
    Did you taste it? Is it sweet? If yes, try aerating slightly, and pitch a high gravity or champagne yeast.

It's even more effective if you make a starter, and pitch the starter at high krausen.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, i was meaning champagne yeast since you are close to where you want to be
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    djsethall said:

I generally will let it sit for a minute or two and allow the hop bag to sit fully in the wort. As it chills, the aromatics come from the hops and into the wort.

Do you use hop bags for all additions. I am pretty new and actually go back and forth. If the receipe calls for only one or two additions, then I bag it. If it is a bunch, basically I don't have a bunch of bags, so I don't bother. Should I get more bags?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Benvarine said:

djsethall said:

Do you use hop bags for all additions. I am pretty new and actually go back and forth. If the receipe calls for only one or two additions, then I bag it. If it is a bunch, basically I don't have a bunch of bags, so I don't bother. Should I get more bags?

If you are thinking of buying more equipment, the answer is always yes
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Benvarine said:

djsethall said:

If you are thinking it'd buying more equipment, the answer is always yes

nice
  • scoobscoob
    I use a 5 gallon strainer bag attached to a cpvc flange hanging in the boil kettle. That thing can handle an aweful lot of hops without issue.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • LothosLothos
    ya i need a yeast strain for my RIS

recipe is in the forum

Please Help
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    give it a nice big pitch of s-05. nice clean yeast profile to let the roasty goodness shine.
  • jlwjlw
    Planning on brewing my rye ipa this weekend. I need to finalize the recipe and could use final advice on hops during late addition and dry hop. Any advice would be great.

http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/205/rye-ipa-recipe-critique-needed#Item_21

• djsethalldjsethall
    The centennial and cascade mix has always been a winner in my book
  • ThymThym
    Cascade and centennial have been a mainstay. I've recently been introducing Palisade in the mix for similar applications.
  • LothosLothos
    how about summit and czech Saaz
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • djsethalldjsethall
    With all the cascade and centennial, why not go for the gusto
  • jlwjlw
    Squeeze or not squeeze the hop bag after a long dry hop?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Are you putting the hops in a bag? I just throw them into the carboy without a bag. When I rack to keg or bottling, the caning generally filters out the floating hops
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

squeeze that motha! just sanitize whatever you use to squeeze it.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

squeeze that motha! just sanitize whatever you use to squeeze it.

I did. It seemed a waste to leave all that wonderfully hopped beer in the hops.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the stupid hop cones are greedy! i want that beer in my glass, not the compost.
  • jlwjlw
    They are pellets. But still
  • ThymThym
    I would have just squeezed that into a glass and drank it!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    brewing question: can an IPA ever not be dry hopped?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I believe it is part of the style of IPA for it to be dry hopped. Why Wolff you want a less hoppy IPA?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    most ipa's aren't dry hopped actually. which is why many ipa's suck donkey butt.
    all AIPA's are supposed to be dry hopped, but the sweeter, english ones are not, typically.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Well good. that confirms what I was thinkin.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I was going to use my question as a segue to a more specific dry hopping scenario, but since i see there hasn't been a thread for it yet, i'll just start a new one.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    changed my mind. i started a thread on general dry hopping; i'll post my specific question here.

here's my hop schedule for an ipa i brewed. i was wondering what to use as the dry hop. the ones already in the beer are pellets, but i have a # of citra leaf. should i use one that's already in the recipe, or go for the citra?

boil 60 mins 0.3 Nugget pellet
    boil 20 mins 0.75 Rakau pellet
    boil 10 mins 0.5 Palisades pellet
    boil 10 mins 0.5 Summit pellet
    boil 5 mins 0.75 Rakau pellet
    boil 1 min 0.5 Palisades pellet
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hmmm...rakau is new to me, but i would bomb that thing with citra
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i was leaning towards citra, but... just to spite you, i may not dry hop at all. ;)
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

i was leaning towards citra, but... just to spite you, i may not dry hop at all. ;)

please send me all the hops you don't use.

• jlwjlw
    Wasn't thinking when I ordered my ingredients today only got one vial of yeast for a 1.096 beer. If I make a starter tonight I would guess I could step it up tomorrow and still get the viable yeast cells I need which is something like 348 million.

Or should I get another vial?
  • C_BC_B
    I think if you step it up now with a fresh vial it should be going solid by pitching time. You may have to pitch at high krausen instead of chilling and decanting (what I normally try to do). But that won't hurt anything.
  • C_BC_B
    But I'm uber cheap. Keep that in mind.
  • jlwjlw

I think if you step it up now with a fresh vial it should be going solid by pitching time. You may have to pitch at high krausen instead of chilling and decanting (what I normally try to do). But that won't hurt anything.

So, get the starter going tonight and then tomorrow night add another liter of DME?
  • C_BC_B
    Wait, when are you brewing? Do you have a stirplate or simple starter?
  • jlwjlw

Simple with the walk by and shake method. I brew on Sunday.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

cutting it close for that big ris, but i think you'll be alright as long as its a fresh vial.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh I see the problem. I didn't read the OG correctly. On my stirplate I would pitch the vial into a one liter starter tonight and (assuming it is active) drop another liter of starter wort in it tomorrow morning. I don't think there is enough time to chill and decant though.... Depending on when you brew. Or pitch it all at high krausen.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

cutting it close for that big ris, but i think you'll be alright as long as its a fresh vial.

That's what I'm worried about. I have a packet of champagne yeast I could also use. I'm worried about a stalled fermentation. I had one of those on another RIS.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

jlw said:

That's what I'm worried about. I have a packet of champagne yeast I could also use. I'm worried about a stalled fermentation. I had one of those on another RIS.

Definitely a concern. With fresh yeast and two steps I think it'll be fine. But it isn't my beer.
  • jlwjlw
    June 8 2012 is the date.
  • C_BC_B
    That's good enough.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    do it!
  • LothosLothos
    i need help when ya coming over
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym