Dumping new beer on previous beers trub question
  • jlwjlw
    I'm brewing my renegade rye ipa Friday. I've used the same fermenter and yeast cake twice now. I was planning on using it again tomorrow. I just transferred a dipa into secondary Wednesday night. I guess the question is:

Will the yeast cake be ok with out beer on top?
    Should I use a different fermenter?
    Should I just use a couple scoops? Or just dump on top again?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I'm brewing my renegade rye ipa Friday. I've used the same fermenter and yeast cake twice now. I was planning on using it again tomorrow. I just transferred a dipa into secondary Wednesday night. I guess the question is:

Will the yeast cake be ok with out beer on top?
    Should I use a different fermenter?
    Should I just use a couple scoops? Or just dump on top again?

as long as the fermenter did not get any mold or bacteria in it you should be golden.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If the last beer was drastically different, say a hop bomb and you're doing a mild next washing with boils water is advisable. Otherwise just keep it from getting infected.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I'm brewing my renegade rye ipa Friday

yeah, i think you dont have to worry about the hops from the last beer effecting this one.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    All of this^^^ I have nothing to add.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I would personally not use the yeast from an IIPA. Too much hop character and more importantly too high of alcohol. If you really wanted to use it, wash the yeast, but brewing is a lot of work to ruin with bad yeast to save a few bucks.
  • jlwjlw
    I ended up not using because the fermenter sat empty for a week. Didn't want to chance it.