Wild yeast from apples, how should I do this?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I ran a bunch of ground apples in a juicer and ended up with about a gal of juice. I put it in a clean carboy and with out doing anything it's turning into booze. It smells and tastes like yeast more than anything right now, but what should I do with it?
    Options:

A) let it clear and decant off the yeast cake. Add wort and make beer.

B) Decant after a week and use the first yeast that settles for beer, to grab the yeasts that will folcurate (sp?) best.

C) Add small amounts of wort to the cider to make the sugar switch softer.

And with any option should I acid wash the yeast before use with beer?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Be careful. There is probably a lot of other organisms in there besides just yeast. If you are willing to experiment a little (with the chance of getting sour beer), then I say go for it!!!!

If it were me, I would let whatever is fermenting the juice run its course for a couple more days and then I would decant the juice off, rinse the buggies from whatever trub is mixed in there, and then pitch it in a starter before adding it to wort.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Evan_B said:

Be careful. There is probably a lot of other organisms in there besides just yeast. If you are willing to experiment a little (with the chance of getting sour beer), then I say go for it!!!!

If it were me, I would let whatever is fermenting the juice run its course for a couple more days and then I would decant the juice off, rinse the buggies from whatever trub is mixed in there, and then pitch it in a starter before adding it to wort.

Good points. I'm leaning more to the acid washing step the more I think about it. That would be mixing the cake with 10% or so phosphoric acid, which kills most stuff. It's rough on the yeast, but enough can make it to the next step.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    by now you noticed that much of the stuff in the bottom of the jug was pulp that settled out, not juice.
    Here is what i would have done.

juice it

after 3 days, strain now fermenting juice off into something else and throw away junk in bottom of original vessel.

let remainder of the juice ferment for another 4 weeks. siphon into clean vessel and gather yeast

let juice sit in new vessel for another 3 months, then drink it.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

by now you noticed that much of the stuff in the bottom of the jug was pulp that settled out, not juice.

juice it

after 3 days, strain now fermenting juice off into something else and throw away junk in bottom of original vessel.

let remainder of the juice ferment for another 4 weeks. siphon into clean vessel and gather yeast

That's about what I did, I just played around with the junk too much.

Thread about me playing with it: http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/1131/acid-washing-wild-yeast
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't want to look at a thread of you playing with it.

JayrizzleThym
  • FuzzyFuzzy

juice it

Thread about me playing with it: http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/1131/acid-washing-wild-yeast

this post has been flagged as spam...
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

juice it

Get out the ban hammer ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

juice it

Not if I use mine first!
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

juice it

Not if I use mine first!

What? You're going to ban yourself????
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.