Deschutes-Red Chair NWPA
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This is just my kinda American pale ale.

Appearance: Dark copper. lookin good.

Aroma: Hop forward, with those nice citrusy american hops. A very slight aroma of the malts coming through as well.

Flavor: This is where the beer really shines. There is a ton of malty deliciousness here. It tasted almost as if they used vienna as the base malt. There are some caramel notes from the crystal malts, but not much sweetness. The hops take a back seat in this beer, letting the malt play the main stage. That's not to say it's under hopped. The hops come through in the finish with a very nice citrusy/american hop flavor without blasting your taste buds. The bitterness is pretty restrained as well, which is just fine with me.

Overall: two thumbs up! Malt for the win.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @C_B, try this beer if you see it.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I really really like this beer. I look forward to every spring (well at least the last couple).
    The deschutes website doesn't seem to be working for me right now, but they have a recipe for home brewers on it, along with the rest of their beers.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh vurry nice. Malt (Vienna) forward is right where I like my Pale Ales.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

I really really like this beer. I look forward to every spring (well at least the last couple).
    The deschutes website doesn't seem to be working for me right now, but they have a recipe for home brewers on it, along with the rest of their beers.

we just started getting their beers in this area, so i'm pretty happy about it.
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

I really lucked out because I like their bottles for my own beer, and thankfully their beer doesn't suck! Black Butte porter is their flagship, and its good, but the Obsidien Stout is very good, and the Inversion IPA is one of my favorite in that style.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Evan_B said:

I really lucked out because I like their bottles for my own beer, and thankfully their beer doesn't suck! Black Butte porter is their flagship, and its good, but the Obsidien Stout is very good, and the Inversion IPA is one of my favorite in that style.

i've only had the black butte, the mirror pond, and this one. they were all good, but the nwpa is my favorite.
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

Evan_B said:

i've only had the black butte, the mirror pond, and this one. they were all good, but the nwpa is my favorite.

Yeah that's my favorite as well.
    I recently picked up a bottle of Imperial Smoked Porter, which was a collaborative brew with Great Lakes for their 25th anniversary. I'm not a big fan of everything "imperial" these days, but I like smoked porters. I get around to drinking it someday.
  • ceanntceannt
    This sounds like something I would like ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Sounds good, but i have never seen it
  • C_BC_B
    I looked at two places that have really good and random selections around here. Nothing.
  • C_BC_B
    Nevermind. Google tells me they don't distribute this far East.
  • ceanntceannt
    and I am farther east than you..... bummer
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Nevermind. Google tells me they don't distribute this far East.

ceannt said:

and I am farther east than you..... bummer

suckers!
  • ceanntceannt
    :-w