Cdiggledubb's brew queue 'n stuff
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Ima start a list. Because I'm trying to sort out an off flavor that I might have narrowed down. And everything is more important on the internet.

    I bought a pump last year and hooked it up. The first three brews after the pump were Kenny's Irish Red Ale that was close to a failure. I didn't get the FG down far enough and it had a severe off flavor. Next was the Pale Ale that turned out very good but still had the off flavor. The third then is the chocolate oatmeal stout. It is epic yummy and I can't taste a bit of off flavor, but my palette is not as sensitive as others. I might send a bit of it around to get another opinion.
    Before the pump I had an Imperial IPA that was dumpable good and a double chocolate stout that had this same off flavor but had enough else going on in the beer to cover it up for the most part.
    I haven't actually found or fixed/eradicated the problem. I've been told mold maybe. From what I've read the kettle ball valve can be a real problem, especially when hot wort isn't recirculated. Now with the pump I am recirculating for the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. I think that is why the off flavor has gone to nearly nothing in this most recent batch. I want to brew something light in an effort to get it to come through if it is still a problem.

    So I was going to do this...

    Centennial IPA
    Big Bad Barleywine
    Hefe or Wit
    Dryish Stout.

    Since none of those really are terribly light... I think I'll drop the Barleywine down the list until I'm sure I can make it yummy with no infection. Ima do the IPA first fo shizzle.

    What should I do that is light and relatively clean? Light isn't really my bag...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    make a blonde. they are quick, easy and cheap. yes, i'm talking about beer still.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Lakewood said:

    make a blonde. they are quick, easy and cheap. yes, i'm talking about beer still.


    I might just try that. I'll prolly only want 5 gallons though...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    You might want to rethink doing the IPA first ..... the hops might make it harder to pick up any off flavors .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Something along the lines of an AltBier maybe?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Or perhaps you could try the IRA again .......

    And do it right this time ......
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    blonde, kolsch, cream ale. they're not my favorite beers, but if you're trying to nail down an off flavor, they're perfect. not a whole lot of malt or hops to cover anything up and they're cheap enough that dumping the batch isn't that much of a financial hit.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143

    blonde, kolsch, cream ale. they're not my favorite beers, but if you're trying to nail down an off flavor, they're perfect. not a whole lot of malt or hops to cover anything up and they're cheap enough that dumping the batch isn't that much of a financial hit.



    yup, with a yeast re-pitch it's like $20 for 10 gallons
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    You might want to rethink doing the IPA first ..... the hops might make it harder to pick up any off flavors .....



    The first one is because I want beer now. The off flavor will have to take a backseat to the pipeline.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    Or perhaps you could try the IRA again .......

    And do it right this time ......



    I don't have time to find three virgins and a goat.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    Or perhaps you could try the IRA again .......

    And do it right this time ......



    I don't have time to find three virgins and a goat.


    Wimp ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    With the Centennial done I might have to skip the Barleywine for now. No room in the ferm chamber. Maybe then a hefe if I het time to brew this week? Do that basement floor style. It'll still hit 75*. Maybe even 80* in the bucket.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Oh.... should be a good bit stronger than a normal wit too ... O.G. up in the 50s
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander


    That sounds good.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander


    That sounds good.


    I think so.... been on my "going to brew this one of these days" list for a long time.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    I'm still feeling wit/wheat/hefe/something along these lines. Then back to the Barleywine. Should have some monies for a brewday weekend after next. Maybe weekend after weekend after next.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    ceannt said:

    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander



    @C_B
    I'm too lazy to retype all this in "that other thread "
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    ceannt said:

    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander



    @C _B
    I'm too lazy to retype all this in "that other thread "

    Ok.

    Huh?

    The 75* degree temp thread?

    Whatevs. What yeast to use with this? I'll put up a build thread in a bit. If I'm brewing this Sunday then I need to get the ingredients ASAP.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Either a wit or German wheat yeast ... the Belgian wit might be best ....
    Or even S-33
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    So the Centennial is in the books. I'll keg that this week sometime. then the buckets shall be ready for the Peetermann. Then I must do the Barleywine after that. That ought to put me out around the middle of August at the earliest. I may have to wait on that one a bit longer. I'll want to set up the ferm chamber as it is now.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Centennial is kegged. Ingredients for the Peetermann are on hand. I need to get the barleywine going after that. Then Lake's wit maybe. Depending on timing there I might go with an ordinary bitter utilizing these WGV I have on hand. Here's lookin' at you Kenny.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    Centennial is kegged. Ingredients for the Peetermann are on hand. I need to get the barleywine going after that. Then Lake's wit maybe. Depending on timing there I might go with an ordinary bitter utilizing these WGV I have on hand. Here's lookin' at you Kenny.



    I be watching ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Peeterman is in the buckets. I'd like to think I'll I can brew again before I head out on vaca, but that's a tight schedule and puts young beer alone in the house [-X so maybe I'll target post vacation. My pipeline is looking pretty good so I think it looks like this
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter
    Something stouty.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    you need a babysitter for you fermenters.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    someone that lives in say, illinois, and would promise not to steal all your beer and drink it. O:-)
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    but he totally would drink it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999

    you need a babysitter for you fermenters.



    We have a house sitter. But I don't trust to properly care for the beer.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:

    Peeterman is in the buckets. I'd like to think I'll I can brew again before I head out on vaca, but that's a tight schedule and puts young beer alone in the house [-X so maybe I'll target post vacation. My pipeline is looking pretty good so I think it looks like this
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter
    Something stouty.



    On the stouty note, I'm in need of a drier stout. Not palate punching because it's burnt, dry. Just a nice dry with a hint of roastiness, stout.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    Peeterman is in the buckets. I'd like to think I'll I can brew again before I head out on vaca, but that's a tight schedule and puts young beer alone in the house [-X so maybe I'll target post vacation. My pipeline is looking pretty good so I think it looks like this
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter
    Something stouty.



    On the stouty note, I'm in need of a drier stout. Not palate punching because it's burnt, dry. Just a nice dry with a hint of roastiness, stout.


    Easy.... most dry stouts have a TON of roasted barley.... hence the "burnt"....
    sub out between half to 3/4 of it with carafe III.... mash around 150-152.... done
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    a low gravity Porter may even fit the bill better.......... take a look at my Brown Porter... the "Old Blind Sow" recipe posted somewhere in here.... if you mash it a bit lower it turns out pretty dry
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    a low gravity Porter may even fit the bill better.......... take a look at my Brown Porter... the "Old Blind Sow" recipe posted somewhere in here.... if you mash it a bit lower it turns out pretty dry


    That sounds like the ticket.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    a low gravity Porter may even fit the bill better.......... take a look at my Brown Porter... the "Old Blind Sow" recipe posted somewhere in here.... if you mash it a bit lower it turns out pretty dry


    That sounds like the ticket.


    You can tweak that recipe a tad too, to get it even more in that direction.... sub out plain pale malt or two row for the base... and replace a couple pounds of the base malt with wheat malt... make it just a bit crisper
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    a low gravity Porter may even fit the bill better.......... take a look at my Brown Porter... the "Old Blind Sow" recipe posted somewhere in here.... if you mash it a bit lower it turns out pretty dry


    That sounds like the ticket.


    You can tweak that recipe a tad too, to get it even more in that direction.... sub out plain pale malt or two row for the base... and replace a couple pounds of the base malt with wheat malt... make it just a bit crisper

    I even have some wheat on hand.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:

    Peeterman is in the buckets. I'd like to think I'll I can brew again before I head out on vaca, but that's a tight schedule and puts young beer alone in the house [-X so maybe I'll target post vacation. My pipeline is looking pretty good so I think it looks like this
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter
    Something stouty.


    Peeterman still in the buckets. My plans to keg that this weekend were derailed by the standing water in my basement.... I have an interested party that wants to watch/help with a brew day. I'm thinking the new list looks like this

    Dry stout
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter

    I really need to get my 15 gallon MLT together. That would make the Wit a lot easier. And the Barleywine for that matter.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:


    Dry stout
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter

    I really need to get my 15 gallon MLT together. That would make the Wit a lot easier. And the Barleywine for that matter.



    Well, I completely ignored this thread. I skipped all of those and did a WGV Pale/bitter/what I had on hand.

    Soooo, If I get to brew during the black Friday Brewathon Ima shoot for the Dry stout or the Barleywine.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:

    C_B said:


    Dry stout
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter

    I really need to get my 15 gallon MLT together. That would make the Wit a lot easier. And the Barleywine for that matter.



    Well, I completely ignored this thread. I skipped all of those and did a WGV Pale/bitter/what I had on hand.

    Soooo, If I get to brew during the black Friday Brewathon Ima shoot for the Dry stout or the Barleywine.


    Hey. At least it was on my list.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    C_B said:

    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?



    wit is a good way to get back something in the pipeline quick.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    the blonde i used to make was also a quick turn.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?



    wit is a good way to get back something in the pipeline quick.

    I'm looking at Snow Storm.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    You could always do a Kotbusser ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    C_B said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?



    wit is a good way to get back something in the pipeline quick.

    I'm looking at Snow Storm.


    do it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    ten gallons.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143

    C_B said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?



    wit is a good way to get back something in the pipeline quick.

    I'm looking at Snow Storm.


    do it.



    yeah, I hear its pretty good

    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999

    ten gallons.



    Yup
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_B said:

    My pipeline is depleted. I need to get back on track. NEED.

    I'm thinking wit or mild. Thoughts?



    wit is a good way to get back something in the pipeline quick.

    I'm looking at Snow Storm.


    do it.

    yeah, I hear its pretty good


    maybe try brewing it some time.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    Maybe
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    You could always do a Kotbusser ...



    But then I would decoct and you would chastise me for not.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    You could always do a Kotbusser ...



    But then I would decoct and you would chastise me for not.


    No I wouldn't .... so long as you boiled the first runnings until it breaks
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    You could always do a Kotbusser ...



    But then I would decoct and you would chastise me for not.


    No I wouldn't .... so long as you boiled the first runnings until it breaks


    Well that's workable. Let's put this one back on the lost of possibilities.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Cool ... its good beer.


    (Remember, I said I wouldn't chastise you, I didn't say anything about snickering behind your back) :D
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    Cool ... its good beer.


    (Remember, I said I wouldn't chastise you, I didn't say anything about snickering behind your back) :D



    I would expect that anyway.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.

    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    I'd do the wheat first so youre drinking it by the 3rd brew. Wit or hefeweizen
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Lakewood said:

    I'd do the wheat first so youre drinking it by the 3rd brew. Wit or hefeweizen


    Good call.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Posts: 44,679
    or just do six different single hop IPA's and get yourself a hardcore hopucation .
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999

    or just do six different single hop IPA's and get yourself a hardcore hopucation .



    But then I wouldn't want five sixths of it?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    C_B said:

    or just do six different single hop IPA's and get yourself a hardcore hopucation .



    But then I wouldn't want five sixths of it?

    ugh.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    ipa's are awesome.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Lakewood said:

    ipa's are awesome.



    This is true.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 71,440
    C_B said:

    Lakewood said:

    ipa's are awesome.



    This is true.


    Always true.


    I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:

    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.



    Boy I sure failed miserably on this...

    However, I just brewed up a mild/pale ale/ale ale. Something like that. Next up I think should maybe be an easy drinkin stout. Probably in the sweet or oatmeal variety. Or possibly a wheat. Maybe a wheat then a stout. I really want to brew a dunkel, but then I'd have to lager it and, you know, wait.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 71,440
    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.



    Boy I sure failed miserably on this...

    However, I just brewed up a mild/pale ale/ale ale. Something like that. Next up I think should maybe be an easy drinkin stout. Probably in the sweet or oatmeal variety. Or possibly a wheat. Maybe a wheat then a stout. I really want to brew a dunkel, but then I'd have to lager it and, you know, wait.


    Really, you need to start distilling. For fuel.


    I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.



    Boy I sure failed miserably on this...

    However, I just brewed up a mild/pale ale/ale ale. Something like that. Next up I think should maybe be an easy drinkin stout. Probably in the sweet or oatmeal variety. Or possibly a wheat. Maybe a wheat then a stout. I really want to brew a dunkel, but then I'd have to lager it and, you know, wait.


    Really, you need to start distilling. For fuel.


    Ok...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 71,440
    C_B said:

    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.



    Boy I sure failed miserably on this...

    However, I just brewed up a mild/pale ale/ale ale. Something like that. Next up I think should maybe be an easy drinkin stout. Probably in the sweet or oatmeal variety. Or possibly a wheat. Maybe a wheat then a stout. I really want to brew a dunkel, but then I'd have to lager it and, you know, wait.


    Really, you need to start distilling. For fuel.


    Ok...


    It's easier and faster and will get your "car moving quicker."


    I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    So it looks like I'm going to be taking 6 weeks off in April and May. Someone suggested I brew every week while I'm off and the more I think about this the more I like it. So I'm think (6) 5 gallon batches. A couple quick ones, a couple long aging beers and a couple in the middle.

    Pale Ale
    Hefe/Graff/something wheaty or fruity
    Mild
    IPA (Centennial probably)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Imperial Stout

    I think.

    I want the same process for all beers. Probably DME with steeped grains. It'll be more expensive, but if I'm going to devote a day a week to this I need the process to be relatively quick.



    Boy I sure failed miserably on this...

    However, I just brewed up a mild/pale ale/ale ale. Something like that. Next up I think should maybe be an easy drinkin stout. Probably in the sweet or oatmeal variety. Or possibly a wheat. Maybe a wheat then a stout. I really want to brew a dunkel, but then I'd have to lager it and, you know, wait.


    Really, you need to start distilling. For fuel.


    Ok...


    It's easier and faster and will get your "car moving quicker."


    I tend to speed excessively with the high octane stuff.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    God I suck.

    Anyway,

    Schwartzbier
    Hefe
    Pale ale

    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    Yes.
    Yes
    Maybe
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    C_B said:

    God I suck.

    Anyway,

    Schwartzbier
    Hefe
    Pale ale



    Mmk, did the first two. Sort of. The hefe is more of a mediocre extract wheat. Think blue moon with less good flavor and more extract bite.
    I think I had an oatmeal stout in there. And a dubble.
    Then I did a yeti clone. That's chilling in a bourbon barrel right now.
    Then a dark lager. That needs racked to secondary.
    Then I have another hefe on tap. This one is a kit though. Should be better.

    After that....

    Pale?
    Maybe an ESB?
    I want a well hopped beer with enough malt to say I like hops but I'm here for the party.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    i'll be at clays park july 20-27. bring beer.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Thym said:

    i'll be at clays park july 20-27. bring beer.



    Oh yeah? That sounds fun.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    I just might
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    I won't be in clays park in july but i vote for esb
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Fuzzy said:

    I won't be in clays park in july but i vote for esb



    It's settled then.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Current list

    Hefe (have the kit, maybe this weekend?)
    ESB
    Pale
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    I look forward to drinking it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,619
    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    ceannt said:

    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB



    Can I get it on the internet?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 119,143
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB



    Can I get it on the internet?


    yes?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,331
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB



    Can I get it on the internet?


    Yes and yes. I've never used it, but it was popular among people who couldn't go all grain a decade ago or whenever it showed up.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Thym said:

    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB



    Can I get it on the internet?


    yes?


    Then I'll use it.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Fuzzy said:

    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    Can you get Maris otter extract?
    If so, use it for that there ESB



    Can I get it on the internet?


    Yes and yes. I've never used it, but it was popular among people who couldn't go all grain a decade ago or whenever it showed up.


    I currently mini mash for ease and time. Maybe I'll convert back to AG for this. A partial boil is the problem. You know what, I'm good. I'll AG later.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 86,999
    Partial boils can be done with AG, but math.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants