Other uses for kegging equipment
  • hamelbrews2hamelbrews2
    I got my inaugural kegging equipment a few weeks ago and have a batch conditioning in a keg. As I patiently wait I've been hunting for ways to use the CO2. I went over to Pep Boys and bought a tire stem valve and the corresponding air compressor fitting. I cut a hole through the lid of a soda bottle cap and screwed the stem valve onto the bottle cap, then rigged up the compressor fitting to some gas tubing and hooked that up to the CO2 regulator - now I can carbonate ANYTHING! Just pressurize the soda bottle with the CO2 like you're filling a tire.

Experiments thus far:
    Water: nice, just like those $50/bottle french-named mineral water things
    Flat soda: becomes regular soda
    Gin: delicious, but will clear your sinuses for the rest of the week!
    20130319_180530.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20130319_181726.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 860K

themonstermasher
  • C_BC_B
    Welcome to the forum. And that is GENIUS. You just solved the problem of my wife wanting a tap dedicated to root beer. Screw that noise. I'll do this!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    That's pretty sweet! I bought a cap that screws onto a 2l bottle that has a ball lock post molded into it.

But that thing cost like 25 bucks. Yours is undoubtedly more economical.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Yea, this set me back a whole $10, and the stem valve was a pack of two, so I got two caps out of the deal.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Good deal! Stainless I assume? It looks like it.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym

Yea, this set me back a whole $10, and the stem valve was a pack of two, so I got two caps out of the deal.

Good deal... I must do this.
  • ceanntceannt
    Carbonated gin?
    that is just evil ....... I like the way you think
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • Good deal! Stainless I assume? It looks like it.

Yes, stainless. More important than material though it was the only one that mounted to the bottle cap with a screw-on compression fitting sandwiching the top of the cap. All of the rubber valves seem designed to pop in place - didn't look like those would hold a good seal.
  • ThymThym
    I wonder if you couldn't drill the cap the right size and get it to seal. The stainless ones look nicer though.
    Lakewood said:

I wonder if you couldn't drill the cap the right size and get it to seal. The stainless ones look nicer though.

I'm sure you could. It might taste like rubber though.

Along the same lines, I've thought about putting some apples in a corny keg and giving it 60psi.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

I'm sure you could. It might taste like rubber though.

Along the same lines, I've thought about putting some apples in a corny keg and giving it 60psi.

i carbonated grapes once. they tasted odd. you'd need some fairly sweet apples to balance out the carbonic acid.

themonstermasher
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    fizzy sherbert might be good.
  • ThymThym
    I would think the amount of contact with rubber would be pretty minimal, maybe a good low temp bake to force it to outgas. Either way, the stainless ones are easier.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i'm going to try and do all of these things!
  • Neat! I need kegs...
  • And the traditional use for the kegging equipment worked fantastic as well! How fantastic to literally have a carbonation nob. Of course now I have a legion of empty, forgotten bottles.

Any tips for bottling off the keg if I want just take a six pack along somewhere? Or is it pretty fool proof.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lets send this in another direction. A corny keg could be an expansion chamber for a most incredible co2 cannon. What do you want to launch?
    Or how about the coolest super soaker ever? Chill and carb some water at 60 or so psi. You might want to remover the beer out poppet to increase flow and leave your "gun" attached.
  • ThymThym

Or how about the coolest super soaker ever? Chill and carb some water at 60 or so psi. You might want to remover the beer out poppet to increase flow and leave your "gun" attached.

ha! I like that you intentionally chill the water first...
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ha! I like that you intentionally chill the water first...

This
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking of a propulsion system for a small boat
    No, I really mean chill and carb fully, like seltzer. That way it should maintain some pressure as the volume falls making it somewhat portable.....and cold as can be.
  • ThymThym

No, I really mean chill and carb fully, like seltzer. That way it should maintain some pressure as the volume falls making it somewhat portable.....and cold as can be.

this only gets more awesome if you make a back pack out of it and dress up like a ghost buster
  • ThymThym