IIPA dry hop question
  • jlwjlw
    I have a IIPA that has been dry hopping for 7 days do you gain anything by allowing to dry hop longer? Or should I go ahead and bottle?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    depends on your tastes as well as the hops. i have dry hopped IIPA's for as long as two weeks before.
    some say it can end up grassy and vegetal and i have noticed some of the longer dry hopped beers i have made begin taking up some grassy characters, but not in a bad way.

what i generally do is if i am only dry hopping with 2 ounces or less, i leave it for 10-14 days. if i am hitting it with more than 2 ounces, then i go for less than ten days.
  • ThymThym
    the true heritage IPAs were dry hopped in the serving cask and thus were dry hopped as long as there was beer left . this could be months.

I draw a distinct difference between the grassy flavors you can get from many hops, and the vegetal flavors of DMS or other by products... when i think vegetal i think over-cooked broccoli or something terrible like that. hops always seems to me to stop at "fresh cut grass" or "mowed hay".

Feel free to set me straight... but I'd dry hop about two weeks at a mininum to extract the glorius flavors and aromas. beyond that it's just diminishing returns.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, i've never gotten any vegetal flavors off hops. i just meant that many people say that. i've gotten the grassy flavors/smells but i don't mind that.