Johnny Walker Black
  • jlwjlw
    A friend recommended this to me. Anyone else know anything about this Scotch?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    It's cheap scotch, better than johnny red, but not by much, and not better enough to justify the price. Go with Red or green if you like Johnny.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    I want to get some scotch and I want something good without breaking the bank.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    It's hard to say without knowing what you like. Single malts are the EAC of Scotches. JW Scotches are all blended.

What is breaking the bank to you? For ~$50 you can get some very good single malts.

Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood
    Glenlivet 15

Both of the above are very good (IMHO) and will run you just under $50 for a bottle.

Your best bet, though, is to head to a bar with a decent whisky list and try a couple of glasses of different types (smoky, rich, peaty, light) and see what you like. Then pick up a bottle of that.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm in the market for a $100 or around there.
  • ThymThym
    Ballantine 18yo is pretty fan friggin tastic and right at 100
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    jlw said:

If that's the case, you definitely don't want to drop $100 on a bottle of something that someone says is good but you think tastes like shit. Scotch is a very personal thing. You like what you like. Go to a good bar with lots of whiskies. Ask for recommendations, try them out, have your smart phone on you so you can see the bottle price at local liquor stores. Then go pick up a bottle of what you like the best.

This is the best bet for your money.
  • jlwjlw
    Ace_Club said:

jlw said:

If that's the case, you definitely don't want to drop $100 on a bottle of something that someone says is good but you think tastes like shit. Scotch is a very personal thing. You like what you like. Go to a good bar with lots of whiskies. Ask for recommendations, try them out, have your smart phone on you so you can see the bottle price at local liquor stores. Then go pick up a bottle of what you like the best.

I agree here. I just told my wife we needed a date night so I could go sample. I think I know just the place too.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Ace_Club said:

jlw said:

I agree here. I just told my wife we needed a date night so I could go sample. I think I know just the place too.

yay!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    do they sell the 'good' brands in those little travel sized bottles?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the little 4 oz ones?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    might be 2 oz, i don't know.
  • jlwjlw

if they do that would be the way to figure out what a person likes.
  • ceanntceannt

Hard to find .... but yes
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

cool. i'll be on the lookout. i just need a little for my porter, and i'd rather try them out at home (one a day) than try a bunch at a bar.

• Ace_ClubAce_Club

ceannt said:

cool. i'll be on the lookout. i just need a little for my porter, and i'd rather try them out at home (one a day) than try a bunch at a bar.

It will be nearly impossible to find in liquor stores. But try here. http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/

They sell samples of nearly everything.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Ace_Club said:

ceannt said:

It will be nearly impossible to find in liquor stores. But try here. http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/

They sell samples of nearly everything.

nice. i think i'll wait until after work to click that link, but i'll definitely check it out at home.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... its a rare liquor store that carries them .... but there are a few
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.