Dry yeast and starters.
  • C_BC_B
    Sooooooooo, somehow I managed to get only one packet of S05 for this 10 gallon batch I'm doing tomorrow. Mr. Malty says I need 2 packs of dry or 1.6 liters of starter made from liquid yeast. I don't fully understand the calculator but that is probably a function of night shift and nothing makes sense.
    So what I did was pitched the single packet into 1.3 liters of starter wort. I guess I'll get more yeast than I starter with, right? I probably should have chanced trying a new LHBS not too far from work.....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    I might have tried the new LHBS, I have always heard that the dry yeast is coated with nutrients, or pixie dust, that help keep the yeast healthy in the early stages of fermentation.

I admit I made a starter for dry yeast before, the packet was realllllly old though
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    I did it to (hopefully) grow the yeast population not to proof it. Maybe I'll still try for the other LHBS of I get up in time.
  • scoobscoob
    azscoob said:

I might have tried the new LHBS, I have always heard that the dry yeast is coated with nutrients, or pixie dust, that help keep the yeast healthy in the early stages of fermentation.

I admit I made a starter for dry yeast before, the packet was realllllly old though

I brewed a beer in 2011 with a packet that had an expiration date of 2006
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Weather permitting I'm brewing in the am. I'll pitch half the full starter (not decanted) in each bucket. If the weather sucks I'll toss it and pick up the appropriate amount of yeast Tuesday.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    unless the yeast was really old you would have been fine with just the one pack. Mr.Maltey's calculations really are to make things idiot proof (unless you forget to add the milk, then all bets are off).
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio