Ceannts Mystery Beer
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 121,966
    This discussion was created from comments
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    about a 50/50 mix of Pilsner malt and red wheat..... good bit of chocolate wheat..... about 10% munich malt..... some carafa III to make it dark as ink..... first wort hop a ton of Spalt hops, say 4 ounces (5-gallon batch).... no other hop additions.... and trying out ther S-33 yeast.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    haven't calced anything out..... just thinkin'
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    comments?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    oh.... forgot..... just a touch of rye in there too
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    no frikken idea what the hell it would be...... just sounds good to me
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    ???????????????
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    If I time it out so it's ready, might just make a good springtime beer
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    ceannt said:

    no frikken idea what the hell it would be...... just sounds good to me



    beer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Ok..... I did a little figuring ....
    For a 5 gallon batch

    5 # pilsner
    4.5 # red wheat
    1.5# munich
    0.5 # chocolate wheat
    0.25 rye malt
    0.25# caramunich
    5 ounces carafa III

    4 ounces spalt hops FWH

    Og 1.064
    IBU. 53
    SRM 29
    APV 6.5%
    S-33 yeast
    mash at 156
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    looks tasty. what kinda mash temps are you thinkin?

    crips and dry or rich and chewy?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828

    looks tasty. what kinda mash temps are you thinkin?

    crips and dry or rich and chewy?



    Thinking 156... gotta have some body to it
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    that might be a fun project. brew it three ways, or have three people brew it.

    one mash low, one high, and one in the middle, all with some subtle tweaks (the low masher could add some late hops, etc. )
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828

    that might be a fun project. brew it three ways, or have three people brew it.

    one mash low, one high, and one in the middle, all with some subtle tweaks (the low masher could add some late hops, etc. )



    Ok.... what version do you want to make?
    Who else is in???
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,454

    looks tasty. what kinda mash temps are you thinkin?

    crips and dry or rich and chewy?



    this seems like a chewy beer
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,454
    i might do it. i need to plan a few beers.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    ceannt said:

    that might be a fun project. brew it three ways, or have three people brew it.

    one mash low, one high, and one in the middle, all with some subtle tweaks (the low masher could add some late hops, etc. )



    Ok.... what version do you want to make?
    Who else is in???


    the tasty one. ;)
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Ok.....I will mash at 158 .... go for rich and chewy
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Who is going for 149 with dry hop?
    And who is going for 153?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,454
    ceannt said:

    Who is going for 149 with dry hop?
    And who is going for 153?



    I wish I could say I have time to be part of the threesome here but I'm not sure when I can fit it in or I would take the 149 with a dry hop.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,454
    but would also be cool with 153
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Hey .... it's going to be a month or two before I can get to it ......
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616
    Really I could do either the low or mid. I would prefer the 153ish with no dry hops. But that's because I'm lazy.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616
    In any case I'm in. Weather permitting I could probably do this around Christmas.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    i'm crappy with hops. but i could go for the 153ish.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616
    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 121,966
    sounds fun. but my annual brew is likely to be Snow Storm. If i can squeeze in a second it will be Wicked Angel.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    CB said:

    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.



    so we're all going to brew this around Christmas time?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    works for me.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    Lakewood said:

    sounds fun. but my annual brew is likely to be Snow Storm. If i can squeeze in a second it will be Wicked Angel.



    hurry it up already. mine is already bottled.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616

    CB said:

    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.



    so we're all going to brew this around Christmas time?

    I think I can plan on this. If the weather turns to crap I'll just do a 5 gallon pm batch on the stove. I've made some pretty good beer doing that.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 121,966
    CB said:

    CB said:

    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.



    so we're all going to brew this around Christmas time?

    I think I can plan on this. If the weather turns to crap I'll just do a 5 gallon pm batch on the stove. I've made some pretty good beer doing that.


    i only refrain from brewing indoors because i inevitably have a boil over at some point in every batch. well, that and the weather is always perfectly fine here.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,454
    Lakewood said:

    CB said:

    CB said:

    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.



    so we're all going to brew this around Christmas time?

    I think I can plan on this. If the weather turns to crap I'll just do a 5 gallon pm batch on the stove. I've made some pretty good beer doing that.


    i only refrain from brewing indoors because i inevitably have a boil over at some point in every batch. well, that and the weather is always perfectly fine here.


    jerk
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    jlw said:

    Lakewood said:

    CB said:

    CB said:

    Ok. I'll do the 149 with dry hop. If no one else bites? It'll be a month or so before I could brew it. Maybe 6 weeks.



    so we're all going to brew this around Christmas time?

    I think I can plan on this. If the weather turns to crap I'll just do a 5 gallon pm batch on the stove. I've made some pretty good beer doing that.


    i only refrain from brewing indoors because i inevitably have a boil over at some point in every batch. well, that and the weather is always perfectly fine here.


    jerk


    This ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 121,966
    Ha
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Lakewood said:

    Ha



    go ahead and gloat.... a********le
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616
    I moved this into specialty beer category. Because I have no idea what else to call it. Oh, and the weather went to crap here. Did this get dropped? I won't be able to get to it very soon.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    C_dubbs said:

    I moved this into specialty beer category. Because I have no idea what else to call it.



    yeah you did. in the tasting section. #-o

    fixed.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    I will hold off on this one until you guys get organised enough to handle brewing.......

    specialtly beer is appropriate for it..... but then again.... about half of what I brew would fit that category....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616

    C_dubbs said:

    I moved this into specialty beer category. Because I have no idea what else to call it.



    yeah you did. in the tasting section. #-o

    fixed.


    Son of a.....
    :-??
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    ceannt said:

    I will hold off on this one until you guys get organised enough to handle brewing.......

    specialtly beer is appropriate for it..... but then again.... about half of what I brew would fit that category....



    so is anyone organized yet?

    forgot about this little project.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Uh.... so did I .... oops ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 88,616
    hahaha. Life happened. I'm still interested.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    C_B said:

    hahaha. Life happened. I'm still interested.



    i needs some more grain, but i'll do it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    Going to brew the Kotbusser next.... and the WGV "showcase" batch after that....
    This will be on deck after that....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    unless something else grabs my attention... and I forget all about it again... :-S
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 49,693
    ceannt said:

    unless something else grabs my attention... and I forget all about it again... :-S



    sounds like someone needs to drink more ginko mead. ;)
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 53,828
    :)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.