What is the next brew on your list?
  • C_BC_B
    An oatmeal stout and a double chocolate stout. It is winter time, I should have started these three months ago. 
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    those sound perfect for a winter beer. I actually have some Chocolate Raspberry Stout on tap from may. Perfect beer for a cool autumn evening.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    MMMM, chocolate raspberry sounds good. I think I will either be doing a CDA or the world famous "Dark Dookey" next. I do need to start thinking about a spring beer though. So much beer, so little time
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    I think a barley wine might be in order for me.  I've never attempted the style but I'm pretty comfortable with my system these days.

I'll probably use a Maris Otter base.
  • jlwjlw
    Next Friday I am brewing a Wee Heavy. Thanks to scoob for the help on the recipe I'm excited to try out a new technique.
  • scoobscoob
    I am going to be brewing in order:

"Not so wee heavy" as a starter beer for the 12-12-12 beer

Belgian dark strong ale with caramelized figs.

12-12-12` wee heavy

Odins smoked ale. (I have some good art for that one.)
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FerminatorFerminator
    Lakewood said:

those sound perfect for a winter beer. I actually have some Chocolate Raspberry Stout on tap from may. Perfect beer for a cool autumn evening.

Since may? Phuck I have issues then.
    A keg last me a week from the night that I tap it.

My next brew will be a stout again but my last for awhile I've brewed 4 in a row trying to perfect a recipe. I took one and altered it to my liking
  • ThymThym

Since may? Phuck I have issues then.
    A keg last me a week from the night that I tap it.

My next brew will be a stout again but my last for awhile I've brewed 4 in a row trying to perfect a recipe. I took one and altered it to my liking

I brew 10gal at a time, so it lasts a while. The big stout I've held on to since it is aging well. But we haven't had guests for a while, and the 30 gallons of beer I brewed that month have taken some time to work through.

I plan on brewing a couple of batches next month. Baby is due and that means I'll take some paternity leave.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Nut Brown! just need some yeast. i was thinkin S04, unless someone can give me a good reason to go with pricey liquid yeast on that one.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    I can't give you a "good" reason, but I use WL on everything because I'm familiar with the profiles and have always had good results.
  • jlwjlw
    I will be brewing the Black IIPA (Thanksgiving weekend) I posted and the Saison d'Hiver (early December) then my Summer Saison (last week of December)
  • ThymThym
    Next beers:
    House blonde
    Wicked IIPA

+Something new from the recipe collection here
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    I think I'm gonna try an IPA with the malt bill of an English IPA but the hop profile of an American IPA.

Maris Otter base malt and Cascade and Amarillo hops.
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    Anyone here tried something like that before?
  • scoobscoob
    TomoLiver said:

Anyone here tried something like that before?

I brew most of my APAs and IPAs like that, I use MO or 2 row with a bit of victory to get the profile of the MO. I find I like the toasty maltier flavor better than plain 2 row.

The hops go just fine with it, give it a try and report back what you think!.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    I need to work in a recipe from here as well. I think I am going to switch up the order of things and brew the black saison Thanksgiving weekend and the blacck IIPA sometime in December.
  • ceanntceannt
    I've got a DoppleBock brewed as an Ale on deck..... trying to decide now if I should go the decoction mash route or not.... It never seems to give that much to a brew... and it takes so much dad gum time.......
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I've got a DoppleBock brewed as an Ale on deck..... trying to decide now if I should go the decoction mash route or not.... It never seems to give that much to a brew... and it takes so much dad gum time.......

do it. there is no substitution.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    TomoLiver said:

I think I'm gonna try an IPA with the malt bill of an English IPA but the hop profile of an American IPA.

Maris Otter base malt and Cascade and Amarillo hops.

that's pretty close to what i do.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

do it. there is no substitution.

I know... I know.... I like doing the calculations, I just hate the 8 hour brew days.....
    I've read so much conflicting stuff on if it actually gives any real benifit or not, that my head hurts... I may just talk the Old Lady into going shopping next Friday, so I can brew it right.

• ceanntceannt
    I just checked.... my ingredients have shipped! Will be here on Tuesday... just in time for a lengthy Black Friday Brew day!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it definitely does make a difference, but you only really need to decoct for the mash out. that's plenty of boiling.

you could also do what i do, 30 minutes into the mash, scoop out a pint, boil for 5 minutes on the stove, stir it back in and pull another pint. you'll get a good amount of melanoiden production without extending the mash time any.
  • ceanntceannt
    oooooo.... good idea. I was thinking of a short Protein rest, step mash up to convert, and a decoction to mash out... but I'm liking your idea better.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Once I get around to cleaning my kettle valve, I plan to re-do my Amarillo Pale Ale. It should be delicious if not infected by a dirty kettle valve.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Ace_Club said:

Once I get around to cleaning my kettle valve, I plan to re-do my Amarillo Pale Ale. It should be delicious if not infected by a dirty kettle valve.

the valve stays cool enough not to be sanitized by the boil?
  • ThymThym

Ace_Club said:

the valve stays cool enough not to be sanitized by the boil?

my 2 cents...

mold isn't easily killed... dry heat is the least effective means of sanitizing. Most dry heat sanitizing regimens call for 350 + degrees F for an hour and the ball valve never gets hotter than 212, so i would say, yes, funky little mold hairs and spores could easily remain viable inside the BV...

• ceanntceannt
    Ingredients showed up on my front porch yesterday....
    Figured to do an infusion mash at 157 degrees.... at the 50-min. mark I'll pull a decoction ('bout a gallon and a half) to mash out... boiled for twenty minutes. Should be "chewy" enough for me....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    stout, porter, or wit.
  • C_BC_B
    Remember that Double Chocolate Stout I started this thread with? That's what I'm brewing. Today or tomorrow. Kinda like sex with Kobe Bryant, kick and scream all you want it is going to happen either way.
  • Ace_Club said:

Good grief Snoopy! Is it a Zombie?

Hi Ace, where've you been, I missed you.

• viking73viking73
    Irish stout kit that I got for Christmas.
    Beeten and Bloody Red (experimental brew)
  • ThymThym
    i finally brewed again. a new years eve double ipa. basically the wicked angel recipe with palisade replacing everything but the cascade.
    looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

12 oz of hops into the boil.... mmmmmmmmm.....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Smoked Porter -- just in time for any day of any year.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

Smoked Porter -- just in time for any day of any year.

Oh nice. Recipe?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    probably do a ten gallon batch of citra single hop. but it will be a awhile, i don't usually brew in the middle of winter because cleaning stuff outside blows. thankfully, the pipeline is setup this way so i have no lack of homebrew
  • jlwjlw
    Beer number 2:

Some type of Belgiany IPA
  • jlwjlw
    Beer 1:
    \
    Some type of supe clean IPA
  • ceanntceannt
    On deck ..... the great Viking ale experiment
    after that ... uh.....?????????
  • ThymThym
    Up Next:
    Some belgiany thing to try out the westvleteren dregs yeast.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Up Next:

Based on your schedule, when, December? Where did you resurrect this thread from?

I'm doing my first Belgian Triple, I pushed it back because I'm running thin on homebrew and pushed up the hop house which I brewed last weekend.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Up Next:

Based on your schedule, when, December? Where did you resurrect this thread from?

I'm doing my first Belgian Triple, I pushed it back because I'm running thin on homebrew and pushed up the hop house which I brewed last weekend.

it'll happen, just you wait and see!! probably be a few weeks.... i didn't resurrect it, but it's from january of last year...

• C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Up Next:

it'll happen, just you wait and see!! probably be a few weeks.... i didn't resurrect it, but it's from january of last year...

I resurrected it. You got a problem with that?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i think i am going to make a bunch of wine this weekend. like 30 gallons or something stupid like that. tired of looking at my empty carboys that SHOULD all be filled with cider, but aren't
  • themonstermasherthemonstermasher
    PBR :-))

Really though, I need something wheaty to get me thinkin' about Spring.

C_B
  • C_BC_B

I need something wheaty to get me thinkin' about Spring.

Yes. This for sure. That's a great idea.
  • scoobscoob
    Need a big double brew day, I might snag my buddies equipment and brew two 10 gallon batches simultaneously, or maybe a double brewday on two systems... Long day but 40 gallons of beer would be nice!

Hefe and an ESB, maybe an APA and a stout too
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Need a big double brew day, I might snag my buddies equipment and brew two 10 gallon batches simultaneously, or maybe a double brewday on two systems... Long day but 40 gallons of beer would be nice!

Hefe and an ESB, maybe an APA and a stout too

I am so hot right now. Like, sooooooooooo hot.
  • jlwjlw
    I will be doing my black iipa in 4 weeks. PLanned it so I could pitch on top of the yeast cake from my west coast IPA
  • ThymThym
    Belgian Dark Strong happens this Saturday. I should pull together a recipe....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

just do it last minute while you're measuring out the grain.
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

Yay! This is how I measure hops!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

Yay! This is how I measure hops!

i usually measure mine out during the mash.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    A dark Berliner Weisse/sour type experimental thing. Just waiting on my lactobacillus starter to show signs of life.
    Either tonight, or tomorrow.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    Next is a chocolate oatmeal stout. I need to prepare for summer... And a hefe. I'd like to do something bigger too that I can put in bottles to long age. Maybe a barleywine.
  • ThymThym
    next on my list... well i just brewed so it's gonna be a while.