Green chile and cheddar cheese cornbread
  • scoobscoob
    1 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

4 eggs

3/4 cup green chili, diced (one 8 oz can of hot diced hatch green chiles)

1 1/2 cups cream-style corn

1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

1 cup flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degree f.

2) Cream butter and sugar.

3) Add eggs slowly, one at a time.

4) Add chiles, corn and cheese, mixing well to incorporate.

5) Sift together dry ingredients, then add and mix until smooth.

6) Pour into well-buttered, square 9 inch pan and bake about 1 hour

This is what should be a close approximation to the cornbread at the Fuego Bistro restaurant here in Phoenix , after much bugging last night I was told by the chef that their recipe is a basic scratch cornbread recipe with creamed corn, they add shredded cheddar and green chiles to it, the cheddar flavor is subtle so I imagine there is not a ton in it, might be good if the cheddar was upped to 3/4 cup or a full cup. But it might throw off the wet to dry ratio and result in a mushy cornbread.

So here is a good start point, I'm going to make some midweek with a cup of cheddar and see how it turns out, then I can adjust this recipe and add tasting notes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks good. i love me some cornbread. i usually cook mine in a skillet. it adds a really nice crispy crust to the bottom.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob
    Cast iron skillet is the only way to go! I pilfered a few small ones from a restaurant out here, enough cornbread for two people, and I also nicked the wooden plates they sit in, perfect for serving fresh from the oven to the table.
    Jesus didn't wear pants