How much do you vourlof?
  • jlwjlw
    It's probably overkill but I vourlof 5 or 6 gallons on the mash and about the same for each batch sparge.

Here is how I execute the process:

photo (51).JPG
    240 x 320 - 64K
  • ThymThym
    I use a pump to vorlauf, so I don't really know the volume. I basically just recirc as long as it takes. Some beers will clear real quick, maybe only 30 seconds or so of running the pump. Others I may run it for a minute, two minutes or more. So I'd say I am setting the bed with several gallons of wort each time as well.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    I use a similar pitcher and I fill it two or three times, by then it's running really clear. Sometimes it's clear by the tail end of the first pitcher. Because I crush my grain tighter than .030 I cannot open the valve much over 25% without it being a never ending struggle to get clear wort
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    I might have to try the partial open as well.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Silly software won't let me comment in the vourlof thread .....so .... I have a 2 cup measuring cup .... I fill it up about 4 times and pour it back ... works just fine for me .... wort comes out nice and clear

ceannt said:

I start out slow .... then open the valve all the way

@ceannt
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I only do about 3/4 of a gallon.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I do about a gallon. Sometimes a little more. But I should probably run off slower. I go full bore.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    A lot depends on how long you let it sit before pulling. If you just let it sit for 15min a good bed will form and you don't need to pull as much before it clears. But if you start pulling right off a bed will form faster. It's more labor but it's faster.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

A lot depends on how long you let it sit before pulling. If you just let it sit for 15min a good bed will form and you don't need to pull as much before it clears. But if you start pulling right off a bed will form faster. It's more labor but it's faster.

Interesting. I may have to try this. I also am going to experiment with not opening the valve full. I get clear wort but it seems as if I need to pull more than you guys or the other option is I am just over doing it.

The other thing I do as my vourlof is going I am heating my next sparge water.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I have a RIMS set up, so it constantly recircs. Before that I think I used to do about a gallon or so (using the pitcher method).

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B