Veal and Peas “stew” on fettuccini
  • ceanntceannt
    This is the dish that sold me on Northern Italian peasant food. One of my families all-time favorites. Makes the whole house smell wonderful too.

1 ½ pounds veal, cut into ¼ to ½ inch pieces (shoulder is best)
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    3-garlic cloves, smashed
    ¾ cup +/- flour
    2-teaspoons dried marjoram
    Salt/black pepper to taste
    1-cup dry white wine
    ¼ cup fresh flat Italian parsley-chopped
    3-bay leaves
    1 or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
    ¼ yellow onion-diced
    3-large tomatoes, diced or a 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 cup small peas (“heaping cup”)

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Brown garlic cloves and remove (save them).
    On wax paper, coat the veal pieces on all sides with flour. (this is the most labor intensive part of the whole thing, I cut up the veal and flour the pieces while the oil is heating, and the garlic is browning).
    Brown the veal well on medium heat with the marjoram, salt and black pepper.
    After the veal is browned, add the wine, parsley, oregano and bay leaves, cook until the wine starts to evaporate and thicken. Scrape up all the little brown bits on the bottom.
    Add the tomatoes and about a half cup of water. Cut up the browned garlic cloves and add them now too. As soon as it stats to boil, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Check for seasoning, it takes a lot of salt and pepper. Add more water, and a little more wine if necessary. After it has cooked for 45 minutes add the peas, stir in well and allow to cook for another 10 minutes. (I time it so I can add the peas right after I start the fettuccini to boil)
    To serve, ladle the “stew” over fettuccini, coarse grate parmesan cheese and sprinkle a little chopped parsley on top. Serve with warm Italian bread with olive oil.

piping_pig
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.