chestnut quiche
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i made these for thanksgiving a few years ago and ate most of em myself way before the food ever got served. \m/

it all starts with the crust. i don't have my own recipe, so i pulled this one off of google:
    Perfect Crust for one 9” pie plate
    1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour, sifted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter
    3-4 tablespoons milk
    Combine the flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until there are pea-sized (or smaller) pieces of butter. Gradually pour the milk in, one tablespoon at a time while stirring the mixture. Grasp the dough (still in the bowl) and mix with your hands, gently. Place dough on heavily floured countertop, put flour over entire rolling pin surface and roll it out, gently until it’s about ¼ inch thick and large enough for your pie pan. Carefully, with a spatula to keep the dough from sticking to the counter, roll the dough around the rolling pin then roll it out over the greased pie plate.
    Cut off excess (about 2” from edge of plate), fold 1” under and flute the edges with your fingers. Perforate the bottom of the crust to prevent it from bubbling up while it’s cooking.

i usually cook my crusts first, because that seems to work better in my toaster oven.
    the filling is where the real work comes in, but it's definitely worth the effort.

4 eggs
    2 cups, half and half or whole milk
    12-18 chestnuts
    one large onion of your choice (shallots are the best, but not always easy to find)
    one package thick cut bacon
    1/2 pound gouda

get some nice thick cut bacon and smoke at about 250F with plenty of maple chips. normally meat only absorbs smoke for about the first 15 minutes, but since this bacon is used as an ingredient, you can keep feeding the wood chips for as long as you like. the longer, the smokier.

while you're smoking the bacon, heat your oven/toaster oven to about 425 and cut an X in the chestnut shell. if you skip that step, they're likely to explode. they'll take about 30 minutes to finish. once cooled, you'll have to peel them. this is a bit of a pain in the butt. i don't have any tips, so if you have some, feel free to share. once peeled, chop into 1/4" bits and set aside.

Chop up the bacon (i find it's easiest to do this step once they've been cooled in the fridge for a while), shredd your gouda and mix with finely chopped onion and chestnut to the ratio of your liking, with four eggs and two cups whole milk (or half and half if you don't care about that jiggly belly. look down. yeah, that bowl of jello right there.) you can add salt and pepp if you like it that way, or perhaps some herbs, but i haven't tried that yet.

I prefer to make these into mini quiches, using a cupcake pan as the form, but a big old pie would work just fine. spoon the mix into the pastry shell and bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes for the mini's and 35 min for the full pie, until golden brown.

stuff yourself till super fat.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    almost time to whip up some more of these. they've been requested. need to stop by the grocery store this week and grab the ingredients.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    add two shots of vodka to the crust recipe, dial back milk accordingly, for a super flaky, awesome crust.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

add two shots of vodka to the crust recipe, dial back milk accordingly, for a super flaky, awesome crust.

will do.
  • ceanntceannt
    This sounds awesome ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    going to switch it up with shortcrust pastry instead of the pie crust.