Companies to test my water for brewing.
  • C_BC_B
    I have a well with very hard (iron) water. We use a softener system so that we can wear clothes that are colors other than orange. I don't know how well my water is suited to brewing, or more specifically suited to different styles so I have been using mostly mountain spring water that we get delivered in the 5 gallon jugs for our drinking water cooler. Those are ~$5/5 gallons and I'd rather use the free stuff from my own darn tap.
    I don't have a great handle on the science behind water adjustments yet, but I think a good start would be knowing what I have (and reading the brewing water primer in howtobrew) .
    So I googled "test my water" and was bombarded with a plethora of links offering to test my water and sell me their latest water conditioning technology.

Has anyone had their water test for this purpose? Any vendors you know of?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    your local university extension should be able to test your water and give you a detailed analysis for very little money (if not free) and they are not trying to sell you anything.
    if they don't do it, someone in state gov't will. sometimes its department of natural resources, or dept of health, everybody's different. in farming states though, its usually the university extension.

• C_BC_B

your local university extension should be able to test your water and give you a detailed analysis for very little money (if not free) and they are not trying to sell you anything.
    if they don't do it, someone in state gov't will. sometimes its department of natural resources, or dept of health, everybody's different. in farming states though, its usually the university extension.

Well shoot. I know the folks at the extension very well. I'll go ahead and Facebook message one of them right meow.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants