is there much of a difference?
  • Hello. I have a question pertaining grains. I'm doing a clone, and converting from all grain to extract. Now, I'm having problems finding the base grain. The recipe calls for Belgian pilsner. I can't find that exact extract, but I've found two that are close. One is a pilsner extract, and one is a Belgian two row. My question is, are these close to the same, and are they like the Belgian pilsner? If not, which one is more like the Belgian pils? Thanks for the help.
  • ceanntceannt
    What are you trying to clone?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    @homebrewertodd I would believe you want the pilsner extract. Pilsner produces a sweeter and less grainy flavor than 2 row.

If you can post the resipe or the beer you are trying to clone that would also help.
  • I'm doing a clone recipe I found on line for a local brew here called mad elf. if I can clone it, I won't have to pay $120 for two cases every year!!
  • jlwjlw
    Troegs Mad Elf? If its the same that is a very good beer. I wouldn;t mind making that myself for this Christmas.
  • ceanntceannt
    Good beer ..... I would go with the pilsner extract ..... it may have more unfermentables, but is as close you are going to get without doing a partial mash or all grain
  • C_BC_B
    Btw, partial mashes are EASY. It doesn't add that much time and the result are worth the extra time. Plus it helps to prove how easy all grain can be.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt

Btw, partial mashes are EASY. It doesn't add that much time and the result are worth the extra time. Plus it helps to prove how easy all grain can be.

This
  • @homebrewertodd how did your clone turn out? I'd like to try this one if it was good.
  • It came out well. Had a little more of a malty flavor, but I like it that way. The only things I would change is more honey malt, and more aging to bring all the flavors together. If you want the recipe, ill post it on here with the change in honey malt.
  • jlwjlw

It came out well. Had a little more of a malty flavor, but I like it that way. The only things I would change is more honey malt, and more aging to bring all the flavors together. If you want the recipe, ill post it on here with the change in honey malt.

please do post the recipe. This is one of my favorite Christmas beers. I would think this type of beer would need a long age. I would probably do a nice long bulk age of a couple of months and then bottle age for a couple of months.

@homebrewertodd
  • ThymThym
    This sounds great. I'll have to see if I can find the commercial version around here.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • thanks for posting the recipe. i saw lakewoods comments, im not sure what to make of it.
  • ThymThym

thanks for posting the recipe. i saw lakewoods comments, im not sure what to make of it.

admittedly, i've never tried the beer so i don't know what it's supposed to taste like. but at any rate, i bet that recipe tastes good.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny