Under carb'd bottles
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I screwed up when last kegging and bottling. I added proper amount of sugar to beer when kegging to allow for keg conditioning and carbing. I wanted to bottle a few at the same time so bottled from the keg immediately after transferring by siphoning from keg to bottles. It was not until later that it hit me, I did not add enough sugar for bottle conditioning, but only for keg conditioning. In future I need to add sugar after I keg and bottle. I have the sugar drops for adding to bottles, can I pop the bottles and add the drops? I bottled in 22oz bottles, so would only adding one drop be good enough to ensure the caps don't blow? Is it too late for them? Do I need to dump into the kegs instead?
  • ThymThym
    I would just dump them into kegs after making space - if they are undercarbed. In other words wait it out. Drink off the keg for a while and then crack a bottle. If its good drink the bottles,if not dump them in the keg.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Sounds good, I have a few weeks until it is ready, I will see how they turn out. Sounds like I will be topping off the keg.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Sounds good, I have a few weeks until it is ready, I will see how they turn out. Sounds like I will be topping off the keg.

Best to wait and let all the priming sugar get consumed. The gas will carb it all back up nicely. You can give em a taste (pour a little in a glass from each) to ensure they are clean if there is any question.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Best to wait and let all the priming sugar get consumed. The gas will carb it all back up nicely. You can give em a taste (pour a little in a glass from each) to ensure they are clean if there is any question.

You may want to dump into a bottling bucket first so you can slowly pour down the side of the bucket to keep from aerating the beer. Then siphon over to the keg.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Good call. So don't stick my thumb over the top, shake and go all NASCAR win into the keg? That just sucks.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Good call. So don't stick my thumb over the top, shake and go all NASCAR win into the keg? That just sucks.

Or you could do that...
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Or you could do that...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Or you could do that...

Or you could do that...
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Or you could do that...

Or you could do that...

Or you could do that...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i want to point out that pouring down the side of something..........is exactly how you aerate the shit out of something. a thin stream, spread out to get as much surface area as possible, is how you aerate wine quickly, like pouring down the side of a decanter.
    you would get less aeration gently dumping it in.
    what i would do it get a rag soaked in sanitizer and wipe the bottle tops down, then dunk them 1/4 inch under the surface and empty them.
    does that make sense?
  • ThymThym

i want to point out that pouring down the side of something..........is exactly how you aerate the shit out of something. a thin stream, spread out to get as much surface area as possible, is how you aerate wine quickly, like pouring down the side of a decanter.
    what i would do it get a rag soaked in sanitizer and wipe the bottle tops down, then dunk them 1/4 inch under the surface and empty them.
    does that make sense?

Unless you somehow let air into the bottle submerging the opening of the bottle will stop the flow of beer and you will just stand there for hours holding a bottle of beer upside down slightly submerged in beer...
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

does that make sense?

Unless you somehow let air into the bottle submerging the opening of the bottle will stop the flow of beer and you will just stand there for hours holding a bottle of beer upside down slightly submerged in beer...

That would be hilarious.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

does that make sense?

oh yeah, damn physics!

good luck then!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    bendy straw.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    also the only known way to shotgun a bottle without breaking it.
  • ThymThym

bendy straw.

Classic
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

pansy.
    real men just break that shit
  • FuzzyFuzzy

pansy.
    real men just break that shit

real men rinse the bottle out and re-use it. B-)