For a marzen is a 3 L starter large enough?
  • jlwjlw
    The Mr. Malty Calculator says I need something like a 5L starter. I don't think I can make one that big. i guess i could make it in my fermenting bucket?

What say you?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

The Mr. Malty Calculator says I need something like a 5L starter. I don't think I can make one that big. i guess i could make it in my fermenting bucket?

What say you?

What's the batch size and og?

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    5.25 gal and 1.059
  • jlwjlw
    Son of a.... I just found out I only have 190g of DME. Guess I will need to make a run to the LHBS to pick up more DME. While I'm there I should go ahead an buy more ingredients for another beer.
  • jlwjlw
    I guess I could go ahead and make a 2L starter and then step it up to a 3L tomorrow night. Then plan on brewing Saturday morning.
  • ThymThym
    I'll run the numbers but 5L seems like overkill.
  • ThymThym
    oh, and are you doing a warm pitch or a cold pitch?
  • ThymThym
    according to the wyeast calculator

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrate.cfm

a warm pitch would only require a .1 gal or 380ml starter. (no starter required)
    cold pitch is about .65gal or 2.5L

this is based on the wyeast recommended 6 Million cells/ml warm pitch or 12 Mcell/ml cold pitch.

• jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

a warm pitch would only require a .1 gal or 380ml starter. (no starter required)

this is based on the wyeast recommended 6 Million cells/ml warm pitch or 12 Mcell/ml cold pitch.

Good question. Not sure what temp to pitch at. i was going to pitch around 65*
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    for lagers i usually pitch at ferm temps.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    although, i've pitched warmer before. after the lagering period, i couldn't tell the difference.
  • jlwjlw
    Ok so do I need to put it in the fridge and let get to say 54* and then pitch?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

the beer or the starter?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

i would consider 65 to be somewhere in the middle. but closer to a warm pitch.

Either way a 3L starter is plenty... unless you think the people at wyeast know less about yeast and pitching rates than mr malty....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

i would consider 65 to be somewhere in the middle. but closer to a warm pitch.

Either way a 3L starter is plenty... unless you think the people at wyeast know less about yeast and pitching rates than mr malty....

i'm going to assume their janitor is less knowledgeable than senior malty.
  • ThymThym

i'm going to assume their janitor is less knowledgeable than senior malty.

hmmm... im not sure which way you were going with this one... i tend to agree that the janitor at wyeast probably isn't the one i'd go to for advice. but then again, i don't think he's the one they rely on for their web information.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

the beer or the starter?

The beer. So if I lowered to 60 and then pitched. Does that sound right?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

jlw said:

the beer or the starter?

The beer. So if I lowered to 60 and then pitched. Does that sound right?

That sounds lile a good pitching temp to me.
  • i would ferm closer to 50, so if you pitch at 60 you need to bring it down to 50 slow and steady over a couple days
  • ThymThym

i would ferm closer to 50, so if you pitch at 60 you need to bring it down to 50 slow and steady over a couple days

yeah, if you bring it down to fast you can stall. but too slow and you will end up with flavors that wont clean up during the lager.
  • jlwjlw
    Good advice. Then should I lower temp to say 54 and then pitch? Then bring down to 50?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Good advice. Then should I lower temp to say 54 and then pitch? Then bring down to 50?

if you've already got a 3l starter, id say yes.
  • jlwjlw
    Brew day was over around pm est. beer is getting cooled in the fridge. Hope to pictch when I get back from the ale house.
  • jlwjlw
    I hit the original recipe OG at 1.053. My beer smith recipe said I should be in around 1.059. So I think that beer smith might be off.
  • jlwjlw
    Sample tasted awesome though
  • jlwjlw
    jlw said:

Brew day was over around pm est. beer is getting cooled in the fridge. Hope to pictch when I get back from the ale house.

3 pm
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

jlw said:

3 pm

when did you start? triple decoction, right?
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

jlw said:

3 pm

when did you start? triple decoction, right?

double decoction. really got started a little after 8 am.
  • jlwjlw
    I just pitched my 3L starter at 54*
  • scoobscoob
    I pitch my lagers just below fermentation temp and let it rise to my fermentation temp, I find this keeps the need for a d-rest to a minimum. I have a two liter flask for my starters so I build up a starter, transfer it to a covered sanitized pitcher and make a new starter with a pour off the pitcher to get it going again, I repeat this until I have enough starter.

Many folks stress about lagers, other than a big starter and controlled low temps there really isn't much to fret over.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

I pitch my lagers just below fermentation temp and let it rise to my fermentation temp, I find this keeps the need for a d-rest to a minimum. I have a two liter flask for my starters so I build up a starter, transfer it to a covered sanitized pitcher and make a new starter with a pour off the pitcher to get it going again, I repeat this until I have enough starter.

Many folks stress about lagers, other than a big starter and controlled low temps there really isn't much to fret over.

I like the idea of using a larger pitcher. I may do this on future brews.

Without opening up the bucket it doesn't seem like there is a lot going on in there yet.