my favorite bread
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Here's the recipe to my favorite bread. It's pretty simple and involves very little work, but does take quite a while to get from the cupboard to the table. 

Take 3 cups of flour and mix with 1.5 cups warm water, one tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp of yeast. It's a really wet dough, so don't add too much more flour. Cover and let sit for 12-18 hrs (no kneading necessary!).

After the long ferment, scoop the dough onto a very well floured surface. Fold the sticky mass onto itself a few times very gently, then turn onto a cheesecloth/towel that has been dusted with cornmeal. Dust the top with cornmeal and cover with the cloth.

When the dough has doubled in size (about 1-1.5 hrs), preheat oven to 450F with a big covered pot in there. I use a turkey roaster. When the oven has reached it's set temp, take out the now very hot roaster out of the oven and flip dough into it. Put the lid back on and stick the whole thing in the oven for 30 minutes.

When that's done, remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is golden brown. 

It's a great rustic bread that's easy to make and will impress just about anyone. I love it sliced and toasted with a little fresh garden tomato, a drizzle of olive oil and some good blue cheese. Enjoy!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    So gonna try this this weekend.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Finally grabbed a picture of one of these loaves and I realized that I didn't really give a good description. The middle part (crumb is the bread baker' term) is soft and moist, with lots of really large holes. The crust is very crunchy and has that crackling crispy layer on the outside you get with good artisan breads.

It's very close to the bread that some of the better (not olive garden) Italian restaurants will give you to dip in herbed olive oil.
    DSC00497.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    yum..... that would go real well with my Veal and peas recipe.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.