How much priming sugar to use when kegging?
  • jlwjlw
    I know it's less than when you would bottle but I'm not sure how much. The calculator says 3.5 oz of dextrose for bottling for 2.3 volumes of co2. I am thinking like 2 oz?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it's 1/3 what you would use when bottling, in order to get the same volumes in a keg.

although, i still choose to force carb everything.
    i'm not a patient man.
  • jlwjlw
    Thanks
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    It does depend on the beer you are brewing as well. Force carbing is easier, but I have only done that once. According to BeerSmith I think the amount of sugar will change based on carb wanted and the style. I have just started playing with BS. It is pretty cool, I am so new, it could be garbage in, garbage out for all I know. I will probably start using sugar in my kegs too because I don't have room in my fridge for more than two kegs. Don't want a tap empty for more than a few hours eh?
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

It does depend on the beer you are brewing as well. Force carbing is easier, but I have only done that once. According to BeerSmith I think the amount of sugar will change based on carb wanted and the style. I have just started playing with BS. It is pretty cool, I am so new, it could be garbage in, garbage out for all I know. I will probably start using sugar in my kegs too because I don't have room in my fridge for more than two kegs. Don't want a tap empty for more than a few hours eh?

I'm ok with letting them carb up naturally. Plus I figure it gives the beers a little more time to age.
  • LothosLothos
    3/4 cup to 1 cup is the standard for 5 gal
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy

it's 1/3 what you would use when bottling, in order to get the same volumes in a keg.

although, i still choose to force carb everything.
    i'm not a patient man.

i usually have to use between 1/2 and 2/3 what i would for bottling. though it's best to undershoot it a little (you can always add volumes with force carb) because it's a pain to have to remove carbonation.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    I went with 1/3 of what the calculator said. Like FZ said it is easier to add volumes than remove.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lothos said:

3/4 cup to 1 cup is the standard for 5 gal

weights
    weights
    weights

volumes are for chumps!
  • jlwjlw
    For what it's worth I used 1.5 oz which is technically slightly more than a 1/3.