Second Running's beer. I need advice.
  • jlwjlw
    Tomorrow I am brewing a RIS with 21 lbs of grain. I am thinking about attempting a beer on the second running's. Would this be a brown ale? I have plenty of hops (see below). The problem is I have no spare yeast with the exception of Champagne yeast. I could make a bigger starter for RIS and use some of that yeast (WLP002). I think I am more curious about hop schedule and how much? I would guess I wouldn't want much bittering hops. Also should I add anything like honey, molasses or brown sugar?

16.5 lbs 2 row
    2 lbs amber malt
    1.25 roasted barley
    1.25 black malt

In stock hops:
    Chinook
    Centenial
    Magnum
    Columbus
    Cascade
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i did this once. made a mild out of the second runnings of a brown. it was good, but i sparged too far and got a lot of tannins. they actually worked kinda well in the beer though. made a nice english tea-ish flavor.

i'd throw in some of that columbus or chinook, add some brown sugar and under pitch just a bit with that 002. that should give you a nice estery english type brown. if you have some chocolate malt, i'd toss it into the mash before you do the second runnings for this beer. since it doesn't need to be mashed (little to no sugars available) you could get some nice flavor addition to the beer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

i did this once. made a mild out of the second runnings of a brown. it was good, but i sparged too far and got a lot of tannins. they actually worked kinda well in the beer though. made a nice english tea-ish flavor.

i'd throw in some of that columbus or chinook, add some brown sugar and under pitch just a bit with that 002. that should give you a nice estery english type brown. if you have some chocolate malt, i'd toss it into the mash before you do the second runnings for this beer. since it doesn't need to be mashed (little to no sugars available) you could get some nice flavor addition to the beer.

I like this idea. When I do the second I am going to refill the MT? How long do i let that sit? Or do I not refill?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you do it just like a normal batch sparge. refill with the sparge water and the chocolate malt if you wanted to add it, then give it a good stir and drain after about 10-15 minutes.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    depending on the gravity of the second runnings, you might even be able to get a third sparge. that's where you're going to have to watch the ph. if it climbs too high, you'll start extracting a lot of tannins.