• FuzzyFuzzy
    I've dry hopped 2 or 3 beers before, but I've just been following recipes. I'd really like to get a firm grasp on the ins and outs of dry hopping.

For example:

1. How much is too little?

2. At what point does it become too much ( or at least a waste of hops)?

3. What are the effects on the time frames, as in, is 1 day too short?

4. How long before you develop the unpleasant grassy tastes?

5. What's the best temperature for it?

6. How do I decide which variety to use?

7. What if I don't add enough?

8. What if i added too much?

9. Can I dry hop in a keg and how would I do that?

10. What is wet hopping?

11. Could I dry hop in the bottle or even in the glass?

12. Can I use pellet hops or does it have to be whole leaf?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i will do my best to answer these questions as i dry hop almost everything i brew
    1: i never use less than an ounce of hops

2:i think going over 3-4 ounces is a waste of hops and a waste of beer (hops soak up the beer and should be gently squeezed so as not to waste the beer and the potent hop aroma's hidden within), however, if you were on a time crunch and only had time for 2 days of dry hopping, hitting it with 8 ounces would accomplish the same thing as hitting it with 3 ounces for 6 days or so.

3: time is linked to amount, but generally, 1-3 ounces for a week is normal and produces good effects

4:i have gone as long as 2 weeks with 4 ounces of 8.8 cascade without this effect. i wouldn't suggest going for more than 10 days or so though.

5: i prefer to dry hop at room temp to slightly slower, not fridge temps though as it seems to take longer in my opinion.

6:choosing which variety to use is personal preference, but sticking to varieties labeled "aroma" hops is a good place to start

7:if you don't add enough, you just don't get as much aroma. not a huge deal and you can always add more and do it again (in a keg)

8:if you add too much you can run the risk of getting the grassy, vegetal flavors, but this would be cost prohibitive for most people.

9: dry hopping in a keg is easy, but you really need a hop bag and a tiny string (fishing line) to tie it to the nub under the keg lid. this is an easy way to go ahead and dry hop if your beer turns out less hoppy then you wanted. i try to always dry hop in the primary bucket because then you can just dump it in the bucket and scoop out with a sanitized spider or strainer later. i have been known, for big IIPA's, to move it to a carboy to secondary, then put it back in a bucket for a week to dry hop, then keg. works great, but kind of a pain.

10:wet hopping is using fresh hop cones that have not been dried. you need to use almost double the amount and it is a more advanced technique.

11: folks have started pouring their beer into a french press and adding 1/2oz to an ounce of hops, letting it sit for 1-4 minutes, then straining with the french press and drinking. it's delicious, but uses lots of hops. this is an excellent method for determining which hops you prefer for dry hopping though.
    dry hopping in a bottle could be tricky because of the time that they will sit in the bottle. especially if bottle conditioning, the yeast will settle all over the cone and look really gross.

12: any hops can be used, but whole leaf hops are much easier to strain out, even when using a hop bag. the pellets can clump pretty tight in a bag and i don't feel you are getting all the bang from your buck when that happens. i may be wrong on this though and invite other people's thoughts on it.
    ***all my amounts are based on 5 gallon batches****
  • ThymThym
    Thanks. That was very informative. I've never officially dry hopped any of my beers. I say officially, because i have done "in-glass" type experiments to get a feel for different flavors.

I may dry hop my next batch of wicked angel to see how that compares.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Thanks. That was very informative. I've never officially dry hopped any of my beers. I say officially, because i have done "in-glass" type experiments to get a feel for different flavors.

Say what?!?!
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Say what?!?!

yep. no dry hop. whatcha gonna do about it.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Say what?!?!

Meet me at the BP station

• ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Say what?!?!

Meet me at the BP station

bring it