Brewing Wit my friends
  • ThymThym
    So, the first brew was interesting. Extract Kit with steeping grains from the local homebrew supply. A nice begian wit, one of my favorite styles. Everything was going well, we had done some reading, and my friend had brewed with his old man before, so we had some decent idea of the process. Then it happened. First hop addition in the small brew kettle and bam, we had a wort volcano. It boiled over so bad most of the hops were on the floor.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    So now we are kinda freaking out cause there's a giant mess (thank god we were outside) and it seems like the beer is going to be totaly under-hopped, so we drop have an ounce of hops in, but that leaves us half an ounce short for the late additions, so now I leave to go buy hops --- luckily the store was close so I was back in time for the next addition. All in all it was crazy, messy and a lot of fun. And the beer was great!
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I love it when mistakes happen and you make the greatest beer in all zee world. Totally unrepeatable.
  • ThymThym
    Djsethall said:

I love it when mistakes happen and you make the greatest beer in all zee world. Totally unrepeatable.

:) I ended up using that experience to develop my imperial wit bier. Kept making it bigger and after a few batches I have a recipe that is truely excellent. It's a 7% wit that looks and tastes like a classic wit, but has a hell of a kick.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Nice. You'll have to post that recipe. If you could attach the beersmith file, that would be awesome so I can tailor it to my brewery
  • ThymThym
    Will do! (except the beersmith thing, but i'll upload it in my excel template.)