Spent Grain Bread
  • jlwjlw
    Ever wonder what you can do with spent grain? So did I. I dump in the garden and in the compost pile but i have always wanted to make something else out of it and that when I stumbled onto the idea of spent grain bread. Something I had heard of but hadn't tried or really researched until after I brewed my Rye IPA and figured this would be great grain to use.

I read a lot of recipes on line and finally settled on the simplest.

For each loaf you only need 1/4 of a cup to 1/2 cup of grain depending on your tastes and texture preference. The grain will freeze so save as much as you want for future bread.

Ingredients for one loaf:
    1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of spent grain
    3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
    1/4 tsp of kosher salt
    1 tbsp of bread yeast
    1 1/4 cup of luke warm water

Process:
    dump all of the ingredients together and mix. Yes, including the yeast. This recipe didn't call for soaking the yeast in warm water first. Once thoroughly combined let rise. I let it rise for an hour or do then stored overnight in the fridge. Just make sure the dough warms up on baking day.

Time to bake.

I preheated my oven to 425. While that was going on I punched the dough down and shaped into a loaf (use flour to keep from sticking) and let rise on top of the stove for 20 minutes. On the bottom rack I placed a roasting pan with water to create steam. I placed the loaves and cut slits on the top crust on my baking stone and placed on the center rack. I set the timer for 20 min. Checked and set for another 5 min. Checked again and set for 10 min. The bread is done when you knock on the top and it sounds hollow. Once done remove and let cool.

Here is the original site to give full credit.

http://www.topfermented.com/2010/02/01/homebrew-making-bread-with-spent-grain/

• FuzzyFuzzy
    Here's another one that I modified to include poblano and spent grains.

Cheddar-Poblano Drop Biscuits.

1.75 cups flour
    1 tbs+2 tsp baking powder
    2.5 tsp sugar
    .25 tsp salt
    2 tbsp bacon fat (shortening)
    2 tbsp butter (cold)
    6-8 oz grated cheese
    .75 cup buttermilk (i just used milk)
    1 tsp garlic (just guessing, i usually go by sight for the amounts)
    2 tsp parsley (same with this one ^)
    1-2 finely chopped poblano pepper
    .25-.75 cups spent grain (from a wit works great)

Preheat oven to 450F

mix the powdered ingredients, then whisk in butter and fat until it resembles corn meal in texture. stir in everything else until it's just mixed. drop in large spoonfuls onto a baking pan and bake for about 18 minutes or until golden brown
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • LothosLothos
    I am never able to use it for bread
    my chicken's and horse's love the spent grain
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    I've made spent grain dog cookies before..... I may have to try this out, sounds good.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    yeah, my chickens would be pissed if I didn't give them all of it, right away.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Michela is going to try this recipe today.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I think I will make some myself.