When craft beer goes bad
  • PK1PK1
    This is why beers sometimes taste different on tap http://tinyurl.com/7xv7bam
  • ThymThym
    I have a bar i frequent that has had some tap line problems.... needless to say, i was happy when i saw the draft system techs there last time i stopped by. a good cleaning will go a long way to help out.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    At my animal club, we get the lines cleaned every week. They keep em real clean.
  • ThymThym
    most of the places i go are really good about it. but the place i mentioned is really close to work, so its easy to stop by for lunch
  • djsethalldjsethall
    What do you guys think the best beer line cleaner is? PBW?
  • ThymThym
    i think one of their big problems is that they have the kegs in a separate building behind the bar. it's separted by like 30 ft, so the lines run underground for quite a ways. they must have 75-100ft of line between tap and keg.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Animal club is 6 blocks downhill from my house. No driving involved. They do have hookups for cornie kegs. Lines are nice and clean. If you want to have a private party with your own beer, you flip a valve and hook up the cornies
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

i think one of their big problems is that they have the kegs in a separate building behind the bar. it's separted by like 30 ft, so the lines run underground for quite a ways. they must have 75-100ft of line between tap and keg.

That is a lot of line. I built the walk in directly behind the bar. Longest line is 12 feet
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

i don't think PBW is recommended for draught lines. there is a liquid line cleaner out there that is acid based i believe, and rinses totally clean. PBW can leave a residue if it's not rinsed with the same or hotter water.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    djsethall said:

I use beer to clean my lines but I plan on changing that. It's a really bad habbit.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    We recently moved the compressors to the basement. Cutting holes in 100 year old concrete is not an easy task. That helps to keep the walk in running efficiently. 35 degree beer year round.
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

That is a lot of line. I built the walk in directly behind the bar. Longest line is 12 feet

anything under 20 seems to be best, otherwise the cleaning process and replacement gets pricey.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

i don't think PBW is recommended for draught lines. there is a liquid line cleaner out there that is acid based i believe, and rinses totally clean. PBW can leave a residue if it's not rinsed with the same or hotter water.

So... I won't be switching to PBW.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    As a matter of fact, I think it may be time to have the lines replaced. It has been about two years. How long do beer lines last?
  • ThymThym

djsethall said:

I use beer to clean my lines but I plan on changing that. It's a really bad habbit.

at home that what i do most times. every third keg i flush with hot water then run star san through it.
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

As a matter of fact, I think it may be time to have the lines replaced. It has been about two years. How long do beer lines last?

they last indefinitely, but if they get dirty or you run a bad batch through them, you should clean or replace them.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

So... I won't be switching to PBW.

star san seems to take care of it for me. just hot water for a few minutes, then star san.

but that said, i do have a couple of lines that i will be replacing because they have some deposits in them. they are a couple years old.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

they last indefinitely, but if they get dirty or you run a bad batch through them, you should clean or replace them.

The beer rep (good buddy of mine) is talking about shelves in the cooler for us. I might take that opportunity to have the lines switched anyways. It is a free service from the beer distibutor
  • FerminatorFerminator
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

at home that what i do most times. every third keg i flush with hot water then run star san through it.

That seems safe enough. I think I'll tackle this issue mañana.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    He hooked me up with shanks, valves, lines and handles for the house. He also got me a two tap tower that "fell off the truck" at the warehouse
  • FerminatorFerminator
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

The beer rep (good buddy of mine) is talking about shelves in the cooler for us. I might take that opportunity to have the lines switched anyways. It is a free service from the beer distibutor

A walkin cooler would be sweet. I wanna join this club. Do they have a NY chapter?
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

that is the one really value added part of the three tier system. a good distributer that manages the draught system is a keeper.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I want to build a small replica outhouse with a locking door on it and mount it next to the outdoor grill. Less walking up and down stairs during the summer. It would be about 15 to 20 feet of line
  • ThymThym

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

A walkin cooler would be sweet. I wanna join this club. Do they have a NY chapter?

yeah, it's called fermi's place. and we're comin over
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

that is the one really value added part of the three tier system. a good distributer that manages the draught system is a keeper.

He never tries to "sell" us on anything. If there is a new product, he will bring by a sixer and ask what we think of it.
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

I want to build a small replica outhouse with a locking door on it and mount it next to the outdoor grill. Less walking up and down stairs during the summer. It would be about 15 to 20 feet of line

how authentic would the replica be?
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

He never tries to "sell" us on anything. If there is a new product, he will bring by a sixer and ask what we think of it.

that's the way it's supposed to work.

hard part is if you are a small brewery, getting the guys to spend the time to take YOUR six pack over to someone.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

They do. Fraternal Order of Eagles. Usually a bunch of drinkers. Our number one charity is diabetes research. We want a cure so we can drink more. A little off topic, but still a topic
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

More of a locking case. The crescent moon door would hold the tower in it and have a lock to keep the bums outta my beer in the middle of the night.
  • FerminatorFerminator
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Oh... He's selling you, you just don't relize it he's a closer.
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

They do. Fraternal Order of Eagles. Usually a bunch of drinkers. Our number one charity is diabetes research. We want a cure so we can drink more. A little off topic, but still a topic

that's pretty cool, didn't realize you were part of a real organization.
    always figured you for more of a lone gunman
  • ThymThym

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

Oh... He's selling you, you just don't relize it he's a closer.

HA :))
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

djsethall said:

More of a locking case. The crescent moon door would hold the tower in it and have a lock to keep the bums outta my beer in the middle of the night.

nice. i wanna see pictures of it