Hopslam 2014
  • jlwjlw
    Just had the 2014 version of hopslam. Though it was better than last year. A little more bitter and overall more balanced. Admittedly, I may not remember exactly last years version but I do remember thinking it was too sweet. The beer bar I usually go to was empty for the release and in years past it was standing room only. Made me wonder if the hype machine has fizzled or if there are just that many quality DIPAs on the market that people are less interested in this beer? Quality beer worth the time and money.
  • morsmors
    Yeah I agree last year it wasn't as good as it has been. I think it's bounced backrest good this year. I think the aroma is lacking a little this year but definitely a good beer. Release around here was about a month ago and it was pretty big still. Though they have really ramped production about 3 years ago and now it's not hard to get. You can get it all season now at will.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    I'll have to check around
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Yeah, it was better than last year, but still nowhere near to how delicious it was 3 years ago or so. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't have the face crushing bitterness it did a few years ago. Also, when someone in the room pours a glass, the entire room isn't nasally raped by the hoppy aromas.
  • C_BC_B

Yeah, it was better than last year, but still nowhere near to how delicious it was 3 years ago or so. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't have the face crushing bitterness it did a few years ago. Also, when someone in the room pours a glass, the entire room isn't nasally raped by the hoppy aromas.

Well this doesn't sound very hop slammy at all.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw

Yep this is my game as well. I went back tonight for a beer and they still had it on tap. Three years ago it sold out in 20 min.
  • morsmors
    3 years ago they were making 1/4 as much as they do now. I think its the ramped up batch size that is causing some of the issues. Its still good but not as great as it once was... at least not yet. Still one of my fab DIPAs.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • ThymThym
    mors said:

3 years ago they were making 1/4 as much as they do now. I think its the ramped up batch size that is causing some of the issues. Its still good but not as great as it once was... at least not yet. Still one of my fab DIPAs.

scaling recipes isn't an exact science.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

mors said:

scaling recipes isn't an exact science.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants