Flat bottled beer
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I heard from Fry's wife that some bottles I gave them were flat, second time I've heard that from them. I bottled those off my keg with a bottling cane and the picnic tap. The beer is not flat on my end, so what's happening? Could my capper be bad and not sealing crown caps all they way. I've not tried storing them on their sides to see if they leak. I don't really bottle much, just to give stuff away. Thoughts?
  • C_BC_B
    Thoughts...

1) Tell Fry's wife to concentrate less on the beer and more on the... uh... nevermind.
    2) How carbed do you generally like your beer? I prefer mine on the low side so I get the flat "comment" regularly.
    3) Bottle one or two and store on the side or upside down in an obvious place (kitchen counter)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Besides, those Fry's are "into the hops" anyway. They're opinions can't be trusted.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    It's best to bottle beer that's a little over carbed, & or chill the bottles so less is lost while bottling. Capping is almost always a good seal, unless you're using really bad equipment and used caps.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    unless your having this problem. If you are; you really should turn your heat down below 1200F. image
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

It's best to bottle beer that's a little over carbed, & or chill the bottles so less is lost while bottling. Capping is almost always a good seal, unless you're using really bad equipment and used caps.

this. and try to keep the beer from foaming too much during the transfer. i very rarely have any carb level issues, unless it's a bad used cap. i can usually catch those right after i bottle anyway, because they'll make a quiet hiss from the CO2 escaping.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the capping was good, they didn't come off easy or anything like that. I think you are losing your carb when you transfer and the rest comes out into the headspace.
  • ThymThym
    Fill a little higher, make sure there isn't much foam in the bottle when you cap, but cap on the foam. Cap immediately after filling, don't fill 6 bottles then cap them.

Lower the pressure in your keg or use a counter pressure filler to minimize foaming.

This is how I do it and it works well. If I don't lower the keg pressure I'll get more foam, but I just keep filling until the liquid line gets up in the neck and let the foam pour out the top.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

I heard from Fry's wife that some bottles I gave them were flat, second time I've heard that from them. I bottled those off my keg with a bottling cane and the picnic tap. The beer is not flat on my end, so what's happening? Could my capper be bad and not sealing crown caps all they way. I've not tried storing them on their sides to see if they leak. I don't really bottle much, just to give stuff away. Thoughts?

do you have a rubber stopper midway on the cane to keep pressure in the bottle?

this is the way i do it and haven't had any issues:

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/114/bottling-from-a-keg/p1
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I think my keg pressure was low. I was only keeping them about 5psi. I didn't notice when drinking from tap (probably should have) but when bringing different places and bottling, I started to pay more attention, and yes, flat beer. Cranked that beyouch to 11 and seems to have helped. I just bottled a bunch with my patented Blichmann Beer Gun, great invention and worth the cost. I'll see how these go. However I bottled my habanero milk chocolate stout and it is really too hot to drink, so who knows when I'll test those. Then bottled a sour that I used my keg and gun to bottle, but I added yeast and sugar drops to bottle condition, not force carbing. It was bottled flat.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I think my keg pressure was low. I was only keeping them about 5psi. I didn't notice when drinking from tap (probably should have) but when bringing different places and bottling, I started to pay more attention, and yes, flat beer. Cranked that beyouch to 11 and seems to have helped. I just bottled a bunch with my patented Blichmann Beer Gun, great invention and worth the cost. I'll see how these go. However I bottled my habanero milk chocolate stout and it is really too hot to drink, so who knows when I'll test those. Then bottled a sour that I used my keg and gun to bottle, but I added yeast and sugar drops to bottle condition, not force carbing. It was bottled flat.

ahh. yeah, that's probably it. bottling nearly flat beer will result in flat beer. it always looses a bit.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny