Blackberry Wit
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I am brewing a blackberry wit. Base beer brewed, tastes great after three weeks in primary, almost hated to fruit it, but sticking to my plan. I added 5 lbs of fresh and frozen blackberries, triple crown variety. They were picked and frozen for me while I was on vacation. Not sure how long to leave in, thoughts anyone? Also, ideas of what to do with the beer soaked berries after I rack off? That is opposed to dumping in compost. Blackberry, wit, alcohol cobbler anyone?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    until the berries turn a gross greyish color. any longer than that and you're just wasting time.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym

until the berries turn a gross greyish color. any longer than that and you're just wasting time.

1-2wk tops.

and the berries might not taste good when you rack. give em a try and see if they have any useful life left.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    They are all floating now, unexpected, but delighted for the ease of racking.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

They are all floating now, unexpected, but delighted for the ease of racking.

im thinking you didnt crush them?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Nope. Froze to cause them to split was the idea. They were very ripe, and making a bit of a mess when putting them in the carboy.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Nope. Froze to cause them to split was the idea. They were very ripe, and making a bit of a mess when putting them in the carboy.

Hmmm... I woulda squished 'em
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    That's one option. I had read that freezing breaks the cell walls, releasing all the fruity goodness inside.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

That's one option. I had read that freezing breaks the cell walls, releasing all the fruity goodness inside.

it's good for breaking it down, but you need to open the skin for the now broken cell mush to do anything in the beer. doing both as a good 1-2 punch to get all of the flavor and fermentables out of the fruit.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Beer turned out pretty good. It was however quite tart. It helps to add just a bit of sugar. I've been adding a pinch to the glass, but some people like without. It kept a great wit haze and had a tinge of purple, more purple than pink leomanade but similar hue. If I tried it again, I'd use half as much blackberries and smash them first.
  • ThymThym
    it sounds good. tartness in a wit would be yummy.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

If you like tartness. Which I don't. In anything.
    But the sugar sounds nice.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Hmmm.... gooseberry Wit?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Elderberry wit. Maybe next.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

this
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

with flowers or berries?
  • ceanntceannt

Benvarine said:

with flowers or berries?

I am assuming he means berries ... or he would have said Elderflower wit .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea. Fruit. I used flowers in a mead, pretty mild if any taste from them.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Yea. Fruit. I used flowers in a mead, pretty mild if any taste from them.

i have no experience with either, but i seem to recall reading that the fruit blossoms were more for aroma than flavor in most cases.