Hushpuppies: Outer Banks of North Carolina style
  • ceanntceannt
    Posted per request….

OK, I like the yellow Cajun hushpuppies with lots of cayenne as much as anybody… but these are absolutely delightful….. and are always a big hit with the wife :)
    The woman I got this recipe from is the wife of a commercial fisherman on Ocracoke Island… and just may be one of the best cooks I have ever met (see the clam chowder recipe I have posted on here elsewhere).

1 ½ cups self rising White Corn Meal
    ½ cup self rising flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    A little less than a ½ cup very finely chopped yellow onion or scallions
    1-cup milk
    2 ½ teaspoon cider vinegar

Follow these directions exactly, or you will mess it all up!!!!

In a large bowl mix the corn meal and flour with a fork. Add baking soda, salt and sugar, and mix together well.
    Add vinegar to milk (in the measuring cup) and let sit while onions are chopped. Add onions to dry ingredients and mix well. Let everything sit for 5-mimutes.
    Add the Milk to the dry ingredients, and stir well. Pour Peanut oil into a cast iron skillet to a depth of about a half inch or a little more, and heat up (allow dough to “rest” while oil heats up).
    Drop dough into skillet one teaspoon at a time, leaving plenty of space in between (she always dips the teaspoon in water between each one). Turn when golden brown. Yummy….

Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    by the way.... these are the best thing ever with crab cakes and corn on the cob....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    We were going to make some fried flathead this week and now i have a sidedish!
  • ceanntceannt
    I would love some flathead...... yum... best catfish ever...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    done and done. probably this weekend. now if only i can get my hands on some crawdaddies...
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i've ordered from these people several times and been very pleased.
    http://www.cajuncrawfish.com/
  • FuzzyFuzzy

out of stock. :(

but i wasn't going to pay $75 for them anyway...
  • ceanntceannt
    Just head down to the creek and grab a bunch .......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Just head down to the creek and grab a bunch .......

they aren't that common in the creeks round these parts. gonna have to get a net and find a good pond.
  • ceanntceannt
    Order one of the little crab pots ... cover with fine wire mesh ... put a chicken neck in it and you're good to go ... knew a Cajun once that caught em this way ... never saw him "in the act "... but I ate a whole lot of the little buggers that he cooked up
  • ceanntceannt
    $8.99 at Dick's sporting goods ......
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

It's worth it.

Also, they really need to update their homepage! it says they are plentiful right now, until you actually go to order some!
  • ceanntceannt

It's worth it.

Also, they really need to update their homepage! it says they are plentiful right now, until you actually go to order some!

but they are plentiful... they just sold out...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    making these for the first time tonight.
    I hope by "self rising white corn meal" you mean white corn meal mix, because that's all they had.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I'm really wishing I had some corn meal tonight. I do have some cracked corn and a stone mill....
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    They turned out purty damn tasty. Used some of the hushpuppy batter to batter a few nugs of catfish too. good shiznit.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin

Dr_Jerryrigger wrote:
    I'm really wishing I had some corn meal tonight. I do have some cracked corn and a stone mill....

If I was looking to get some cornmeal quality corn would I go to a feed mill? What do I ask for?
    Sign here______________________________
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Well, that didn't work... Where does one get corn for milling? Feed mill? What does one ask for?
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    No clue jeep ......
    Any dried corn would mill ... but I would go with dried sweet corn.
    Only a suggestion ... but....
    just bite the bullet and buy a bag of self rising corn meal ... I think it is all white.

• JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I made these! Really good even though I jerried it (used mostly the wrong ingedents and didn't measure anything)
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio