Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Redneck 1.5bbl brewery
  • ceanntceannt
    Need a possum in there someplace too....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

Quando omni flunkus moritati
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    So yes pics are due, but I'll take them when there is some light.

After cutting one drum i had a thought, the tops of the drums are sealed and have two threaded fittings, so if I just cut off the bottom I could thread in a drain valve. That seems about as simple as I like, no drilling and washers and gaskets and all that junk.
    But I'm going to direct fire them (still thinking wood... maybe a tire here and there) so this bit of pipe will get cooked hard. I can't see it being a problem for the HLT, but I'm not so sure about the kettle.
    Also copper or iron for the pipe? I was thinking copper, I think I have enough already.

The paint held up to the heat of cutting amazingly well. I'm going to wash it out and boil some water in it to test it more. I'm thinking I'll just put it on the turkey fryer burner. I haven't built the wood burners yet.
    Just to keep things in prospective I have spent money on this project. I bout a $4.99 saw blade. It looks like I'll need a few more before everything is done.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    jlw said:

Is the pile of saw dust large enough that you could elevate the MT above the BK?

no, but it may be enough fuel to get the HLT up to temp.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Quando omni flunkus moritati

What is it about Latin that just destroys all attempts to appear red-neck????
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Good quote though...... make a great bumper sticker...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you should definitely use corn cobs for the fuel.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • JerryJerry
    So the wood burners.
    What I'm thinking for them now is half a drum with air holes and exhaust holes.
    I think that will take the weight of a full drum, I'll have to use one that in good shape...
    But as it heats up it will get softer, which could be really bad, but shouldn't be a problem if I line it with insulating refractory.
    And insulated fire box will have many advantages too.

I'm not sure if I should do passive or forced air. I do like things to get hot faster, so i think I just answered my own question... now where did I put that hair drier?

Okay, so cheap ass insulating castable refractory. So I need to go to the farm supply store and get some fire clay and vermiculite. I could use kitty litter, but I did some cone theses with that a few years back. I don't know if it's really bentonite or not, but it didn't take the temps as well as the farmers supply fire clay.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    Okay I just read through that post and I was starting to add up costs. Screw that, I'm using kitty litter from the dollar store as refractory. Just mix in a little Portland cement (or plaster) and sawdust or coffee grounds (that will burn out and make it a better insulator). I may have to get some vermiculite for this... I guess I could use fine peat moss, I already have some of that...
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    did that work?
    IMG_3222.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 501K
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    I guess so, but a little more so than expected.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    yep.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I guess so, but a little more so than expected.

fixed.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    If this works and holds up you'll have to start sellin these. Three tier system.

To the thing about the car water pump. If u get the right one you may be able to make a plate for it so u could use it stand alone.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    Use a bilge pump from an old boat?
  • ceanntceannt

This
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw

A bilge pump would work well for pumping lot's of liquid fast.
  • ThymThym
    I dont think a bilge pump would hold up to elevated temps very well. But i could probably send you one if you decided to go that route.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry

If this works and holds up you'll have to start sellin these. Three tier system.

It won't hold up. If it works well enough I may get some stainless drums, or just keep replacing them every brew or five.

Lakewood said:

I dont think a bilge pump would hold up to elevated temps very well. But i could probably send you one if you decided to go that route.

Some might work, some will not, but I'm putting the pump ideas on a back burner right now. I can lift a 5 gal bucket 20 times, pumps aren't at all necessary for this to make beer.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    so my next step is making the burners. I'm going to make them out of halved drums.

I'm thinking forced air and insulated. I'm hoping I can set all of the weight of the BK and HLT directly on them. I'll need to have some slits to let the hot gasses out.
    Any thoughts on this?
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

so my next step is making the burners. I'm going to make them out of halved drums.

I'm thinking forced air and insulated. I'm hoping I can set all of the weight of the BK and HLT directly on them. I'll need to have some slits to let the hot gasses out.
    Any thoughts on this?

id have to run a hot buckling analysis to say whether this sounds like classic redneck engineering or a 3rd degree burns over 75% of your body disaster.
  • JerryJerry
    Run a what now? Crazy city boy. Just stand back and see what happens.

The outside won't get that hot but still thinking about adding some sticks of angle iron to hold the weight. I don't have welding stuff so I'd just cast them into the refractory.
    I don't really want the added cost of that, so I may try to find something I already have or can get for free.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym
    As always... video.
  • JerryJerry
    So I cut a drum in half for the burner and I keep looking at it and scratching my head. Some how I was thinking it would be taller. For a wood fired burner I'd want it to be tall enough to get at least 70% combustion, but I don't think that will be possible unless I use wood pellets.
    I could use 2/3's of a drum for each burner, but then things get a little taller than I want.
    Another though I had was charcoal (which I can make, but that's another process).
    I'm also thinking about home made propane burners. I've made a few before, but I'd want a lot of heat from them which could result in my little grill tank freezing up. I do have a 56gal tank that my kitchen stove runs on, but tapping into that would be difficult. And if I wanted the pressure at more than 11 water columns (which I do, as I don't want to use forced air) I'd be out of luck... also the propane company made me sign a lot of stuff saying I wouldn't alter or tap into the existing system.
    Other options are oil (used cooking, used motor, or fuel oil) and electric. Or maybe solar, If I got enough reflectors, the drums are black...
    I don't really want to go with electric, but that seems like the simplest option in many ways. I don't want to pay for the electricity and don't really trust my electrical work when it comes to metal objects filled with water.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

So I cut a drum in half for the burner and I keep looking at it and scratching my head. Some how I was thinking it would be taller. For a wood fired burner I'd want it to be tall enough to get at least 70% combustion, but I don't think that will be possible unless I use wood pellets.
    I could use 2/3's of a drum for each burner, but then things get a little taller than I want.
    Another though I had was charcoal (which I can make, but that's another process).
    I'm also thinking about home made propane burners. I've made a few before, but I'd want a lot of heat from them which could result in my little grill tank freezing up. I do have a 56gal tank that my kitchen stove runs on, but tapping into that would be difficult. And if I wanted the pressure at more than 11 water columns (which I do, as I don't want to use forced air) I'd be out of luck... also the propane company made me sign a lot of stuff saying I wouldn't alter or tap into the existing system.
    Other options are oil (used cooking, used motor, or fuel oil) and electric. Or maybe solar, If I got enough reflectors, the drums are black...
    I don't really want to go with electric, but that seems like the simplest option in many ways. I don't want to pay for the electricity and don't really trust my electrical work when it comes to metal objects filled with water.

Electric seems like a dangerously good idea... I'm hopeful you will ground everything... but i will also say it will take a lot of power to bring 40 gal to a boil in a reasonable amount of time...