Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Redneck 1.5bbl brewery
  • JerryJerry
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

Video would be nice too........

Yes and should be submitted to some news source.

That's still some time out. I wish a could take a few days off work and get some head way on this.
    But when I get moving on this I will tape it for YouTube, and repost it here... unless I die before uploading it, like in the filming of it... If that happens I really hope my wife takes care of the upload, but I don't think that would be her biggest concern, it's really too bad.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

jlw said:

ceannt said:

Video would be nice too........

Yes and should be submitted to some news source.

That's still some time out. I wish a could take a few days off work and get some head way on this.
    But when I get moving on this I will tape it for YouTube, and repost it here... unless I die before uploading it, like in the filming of it... If that happens I really hope my wife takes care of the upload, but I don't think that would be her biggest concern, it's really too bad.

Leave instructions in your will. Dont chance it.

Jerry
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    just don't die in a "here Bubba, hold my beer and watch this" moment...... not worth the extra Red-neck points.....

Jerry
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

just don't die in a "here Bubba, hold my beer and watch this" moment...... not worth the extra Red-neck points.....

This feels like we have already broached the "hey ya'll watch this" moment.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

This feels like we have already broached the "hey ya'll watch this" moment.

Pretty much ...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes

or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

to pure it into a fermenter the kettle would have to be 3 feet off the ground, so the mash tun would 6 feet, and the sparge tank would be 9 feet up (the bottom of it). That just doesn't seem smarter.

U don't have a hillside? Maybe spread it all out a bit? Use existing structures? Seal it all up and use forced air to push it out? Like out of a tailpipe haha

Jerry
  • JerryJerry

or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

to pure it into a fermenter the kettle would have to be 3 feet off the ground, so the mash tun would 6 feet, and the sparge tank would be 9 feet up (the bottom of it). That just doesn't seem smarter.

U don't have a hillside? Maybe spread it all out a bit? Use existing structures? Seal it all up and use forced air to push it out? Like out of a tailpipe haha

Now that's a good idea. The drums are already sealed so I just don't cut them. Even if I just do that with the sparge water that would save a lot of work.
    The hill idea would work, but I'd have to ferment down in the garden, or have the sparge tank in my bedroom.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
    I wish I could see all you have. I can redneck rig about anything.
  • JerryJerry

then why did you buy a grain mill?

I was thinking about an air lift. that might work, it would just be really fucking slow.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post

then why did you buy a grain mill?

I was thinking about an air lift. that might work, it would just be really fucking slow.

I needed something quick. and I hadn't seen a regular grain mill... plus the one i got was worth the 100 bucks just for the time it would take to make and the ease of use. I'd have spent x in actual money and x in time and x in tweaking and pain. the grain mill seemed like something better to just bite the bullet on. if i had a machine shop.. .that would be a different story.

I feel like if you start lifting these things you are creating some danger. use a shop vac to suck the air our or push the air in to create the pressure gradient. you could build a small lift out of wood like simple framed 2x4s and a screw or a skyjacker lift or just a huge lever of some sort. maybe a ratcheting mechanism.

or build a frame. make the vessels rollable or use pipes to roll them on... then roll them onto the frame. lift the frame with some variation of a ratchet tie down or a come-a-long.
    or fabricate a skyjacker lift type of ratcheting mechanism into the frame for lifting.
  • ThymThym
    I like the sealed hlt idea. Wouldnt work for the other vessels though.. well i gues you could try a sealed mlt but you need a good access point to add amd remove grain.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

I like the sealed hlt idea. Wouldnt work for the other vessels though.. well i gues you could try a sealed mlt but you need a good access point to add amd remove grain.

not if I only use it once..... just toss it in the river when I'm done.

Think I may have time to take a first cut at a drum this morning. This one may be for a smoker, but it's related skill building.

I'm going to use a old POS skillsaw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt
    Do you have an angle grinder?
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Might have a bit more control
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

not if I only use it once..... just toss it in the river when I'm done.

Think I may have time to take a first cut at a drum this morning. This one may be for a smoker, but it's related skill building.

I'm going to use a old POS skillsaw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.

Please video tape this. Just in case things go wrong.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Gorgeous freakin day here.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

he does not.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

I wish

Please video tape this. Just in case things go wrong.

I should have, but things went well, Though I'm a little afraid I may burn my house down. When I finished the spark show I realized I was right next to a big pile of saw dust, I'll have to take a close look at that before I go to work.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • jlwjlw
    Is the pile of saw dust large enough that you could elevate the MT above the BK?
  • jlwjlw
    by the way this is absolutely one of my all time favorite threads.

C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    I want pictures

C_B
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

by the way this is absolutely one of my all time favorite threads.

As with Facebook, I want to 'like' this more than once.
  • jlwjlw
    The possibilities of what happens next are near endless.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

The possibilities of what happens next are near endless.

and will inevitably involve chickens.

Jerry
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B