Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Redneck 1.5bbl brewery
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking...... get a galvanized tub from an ag store..... fill it with used oil from McD's.... put your kettle in it.... get much more even heat, with no hot spots.
    And also has some additional redneck points associated with it.....

Thym
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

I was thinking...... get a galvanized tub from an ag store..... fill it with used oil from McD's.... put your kettle in it.... get much more even heat, with no hot spots.

that's not a bad idea at all, might have to step it up a redneck notch and use motor oil.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

ceannt said:

that's not a bad idea at all, might have to step it up a redneck notch and use motor oil.

now we're talkin.

i still want to see some pictures soon.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

i still want to see some pictures soon.

yeah, i'd have to get off my ass and put down the keystone to do that, maybe next week.

"Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt
    motor oil really smokes....... not sure you want that in your beer...... cool as hell though..... peanut oil would be the best thing, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

motor oil really smokes....... not sure you want that in your beer...... cool as hell though..... peanut oil would be the best thing, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I could make my own take on this
    my own disgusting take...
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt
    Now that...... is funny...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

that is a delicious beer.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

I have one of these in the fridge waiting for just the right moment to be opened and enjoyed.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes

I was thinking about the pump thing today. If just the mash tun could be lifted or dropped I wouldn't need a pump at all. that's also the only drum that doesn't need to be heated. I guess a pump may be cheaper than a lift system that can lift 9 feet high.

get a water pump off an old car. and a small electric motor to run it.

• ThymThym

I was thinking about the pump thing today. If just the mash tun could be lifted or dropped I wouldn't need a pump at all. that's also the only drum that doesn't need to be heated. I guess a pump may be cheaper than a lift system that can lift 9 feet high.

Hmmmm... That might just be redneck enough to work.
    or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

Jerry
    use a an old radiator as a chiller.
  • djsethalldjsethall

Don't ever do this. Just an FYI if anyone ever actually reads this.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I like the water pump idear. Maybe power it with a squirrel?
    djsethall said:

Don't ever do this. Just an FYI if anyone ever actually reads this.

it was a sarcastic comment. you could die from the residual antifreeze. spring for a new radiator.

also if you want to know anything about anything redneck.... ask me. I like to hunt deer drink beer and fuck.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lead in radiators, never use. Nuff sed

Jerry
  • JerryJerry
    djsethall said:

Lead in radiators, never use. Nuff sed

yeah, one of the top reasons people die from moonshine is use of car radiators as condensers. You can clean the anti-freeze out, but not what it's made out of.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry

or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

to pure it into a fermenter the kettle would have to be 3 feet off the ground, so the mash tun would 6 feet, and the sparge tank would be 9 feet up (the bottom of it). That just doesn't seem smarter.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry

that's a good idea. I don't know about many cars, but on mine it wouldn't work unless I had the block too. The removable part of the pump is just an impeller and pulley. The pump housing is very much part of everything......

Shit, if I cleaned out my coolant system (I mean really really well) I could use my car to pump and heat the sparge water, just put both radiator hoses into the sparge tank until it was up to temp then put on into the mash tun.... Though that would work, it's too redneck, and the hose and new antifreeze would cost as much as pump. Also I don't want to run acidic ward in my aluminum engine, that's not good for the beer.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    I think I may as well just make everything else, I can use a 5 gal bucket as a pump after all.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym
    This will be the crown jewel of hbf build threads
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

This will be the crown jewel of hbf build threads

Once complete with pictures we will need to memorialize the thread.
  • ceanntceannt
    Video would be nice too........
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Video would be nice too........

Yes and should be submitted to some news source.