Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Experimental Brews
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    There have been a few things that have come up recently that cross the line between "trying something new" and "EXPERIMENTAL BREW"

    I thought we should start a thread dedicated to experiments we have either tried, would like to try, or think someone else should try because we are afraid.

    Just post a short snippet - experiment name, description and what the status of the experiment is.

    we will split off new discussions around specific experiments.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    Experiment #1 - Coconut Water Brew

    I had a couple of coconuts, with sweet water inside them and i didnt feel like drinking a gallon of sweet coconut water, so... what else could i do but try to ferment it? The wort was 50% coconut water 50% DME and water, OG around 1.055. Pitched with S-05. It's still in the little jug primary. it's totally cleared and ready to bottle and carb. maybe i'll get around to that soon.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    What was the OG of the coconut water?
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269

    What was the OG of the coconut water?



    it was around 1.025-1.030 if i remember correctly

    edit - this odd medical article puts coconut water around 1.020-1.025, i'd say that's likely correct.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,872
    Lakewood said:

    Experiment #1 - Coconut Water Brew

    I had a couple of coconuts, with sweet water inside them and i didnt feel like drinking a gallon of sweet coconut water, so... what else could i do but try to ferment it? The wort was 50% coconut water 50% DME and water, OG around 1.055. Pitched with S-05. It's still in the little jug primary. it's totally cleared and ready to bottle and carb. maybe i'll get around to that soon.


    I like coconut. How long has this been sitting around?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    I'm going to try my hand at sake here in a bit, cook up a bunch of glutinous rice till overdone and mushy, add the yeast ball things they sell in my local Asian market, and see if it liquefies into drinkable stuff.

    Not super experimental, but based on my lack of knowledge (aside from those yeast ball things) I would say it qualifies...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    Yup, I think there is a rice wine thread on HBT. It works.
    Sign here______________________________
  • CZsCZs
    Posts: 228
    my wife is oh so in love with the Saison or just about any farmhouse style - not big on fruit beers - good for me because neither am I - she has kept hounding me about making a White Grape Saison but I'm just not interested in something that might be like effervescent fruit juice or aka Diet Rite white grape soda - she has asked "What about buying white grapes and halving them and racking over them?" or better yet - "what about using 60/40 water to white grape juice ratio as mashing liquid?" For someone so new like me, I feel like this is a overly tart/sour/ gusher brew waiting to happen - I'd feel like I'd have to due a ton of research on the sugar amounts in white grapes and then wonder whether or not I should even add prime sugar in the bottling bucket. If I'm over complicating the idea or taking too much of a risk with this one - let me know - if it is doable, I'll still have to decide on whether I want to let the wife know! Haha!

    Maybe I just need to do a really low sessionable one like 3-3.5% in mind and just use 25% grape juice.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    It looks like white grapes are around 15% sugar by weight. If you use fresh fruit that would be a safe number to calculate with. I've heard that it's good to freeze fruit and let it thaw before adding to a fermenting beer because the ice crystals cut up all the cell walls and let the juices out much easier. You don't need to worry about a gusher as long as you let it ferment out like any other beer.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,670
    I too am not a fan of fruit beers .... but I have wanted for a long time to do a blonde ale or something else fairly light with manzanita berries
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    I wouldn't mash with the juice. You don't want to boil the juice and it might skew the mash pH too much anyway.

    You are over thinking and I think you should give it a try. Pick a saison recipe, make the batch a little short, top up with the juice, ferment it out and prime like normal.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    I have a "fruit" beer I did a while back. Anybody see the Beelzeboss recipe in BYO several years back?
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Experiment #1 - Coconut Water Brew

    I had a couple of coconuts, with sweet water inside them and i didnt feel like drinking a gallon of sweet coconut water, so... what else could i do but try to ferment it? The wort was 50% coconut water 50% DME and water, OG around 1.055. Pitched with S-05. It's still in the little jug primary. it's totally cleared and ready to bottle and carb. maybe i'll get around to that soon.


    I like coconut. How long has this been sitting around?


    i brewed it in december
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269

    I have a "fruit" beer I did a while back. Anybody see the Beelzeboss recipe in BYO several years back?



    no, i dont remember that one
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    I think it was considered an imperial wit. The citrus flavor came from Mt Dew.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269

    I think it was considered an imperial wit. The citrus flavor came from Mt Dew.



    ha! that pretty funny. that's an experimental brew for sure
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CZsCZs
    Posts: 228

    I wouldn't mash with the juice. You don't want to boil the juice and it might skew the mash pH too much anyway.

    You are over thinking and I think you should give it a try. Pick a saison recipe, make the batch a little short, top up with the juice, ferment it out and prime like normal.



    would you say maybe 4.5 wort, .5 gal white grape juice - or should I use a whole gal - diff between 10-20% of fermentables
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 17,477
    You want a saison to be dry so I wouldn't be scary of pushing that 20% mark. It may get too grapey though. I default to those with more knowledge/experience.
    Sign here______________________________
  • CZsCZs
    Posts: 228
    heck - I think much like the Dr. Pepper Dubbel I've read about - I might even just grab 2, 2 liters of white grape soda, let em' go flat and throw in some saison yeast as experiment before I commit further - would love to see how 3711 plays with that - although, I'm sure it will def taste more "processed flavorey"
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    you could maybe do a small 1gallon batch of hopped dme wort, then top with grape juice, that might taste more closely aligned with your end result and it wouldnt take much effort.

    CZs
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CZsCZs
    Posts: 228
    Lakewood said:

    you could maybe do a small 1gallon batch of hopped dme wort, then top with grape juice, that might taste more closely aligned with your end result and it wouldnt take much effort.



    and this is exactly the kind of idea that keeps my wife lovin' the hobby - I might even have her do this small brew by herself with my assistance so she can really own it - now, we'll see how good she is with the sharing part like I am :)

  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    CZs said:

    Lakewood said:

    you could maybe do a small 1gallon batch of hopped dme wort, then top with grape juice, that might taste more closely aligned with your end result and it wouldnt take much effort.



    and this is exactly the kind of idea that keeps my wife lovin' the hobby - I might even have her do this small brew by herself with my assistance so she can really own it - now, we'll see how good she is with the sharing part like I am :)



    double win!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,872

    Pick a saison recipe, make the batch a little short, top up with the juice, ferment it out and prime like normal.



    Interesting. Top up the fermenter with juice. I want a hefe with blueberry juice. Is that a thing?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269
    C_dubbs said:

    Pick a saison recipe, make the batch a little short, top up with the juice, ferment it out and prime like normal.



    Interesting. Top up the fermenter with juice. I want a hefe with blueberry juice. Is that a thing?


    it is now! do it and let us know
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 46,966
    i have never, nor will i ever brew anything in the least bit experimental!!!!!!!

    [-(
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 104,269

    i have never, nor will i ever brew anything in the least bit experimental!!!!!!!

    [-(



    =((
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny