(Alcohol) APV = 7.1%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =236

For a 5-gallon batch:
    11 pounds Maris Otter Malt
    1-pound Crystal Malt 90
    2-ounces Peat Smoked Malt
    4-ounces Acidulated Malt
    3-ounces Carafa III
    0.25 pounds dark Brown Sugar (add with 15-minutes left in boil)

2.5 ounces East Kent Goldings (EKG) hops 5.8% AA – 60-minutes
    0.5 ounces EKG- 15- minutes
    1 ounce EKG- 5-minutes
    (dry hopping with an ounce of EKG for a week is optional)

S-04 yeast

Add ¼ cup Bourbon at bottling

Mash at 156 degrees for 75 minutes (1.25 quarts/pound)
    Batch sparge twice with 170 degree water, 2.5 gallons first, 2-gallons second.
    Boil the first runnings until it breaks.
    Boil for an hour, or until the proper volume is reached.
    Ferment in Primary only for 6 to 7 weeks. Rouse yeast every other day for the last two weeks.
    Add the Bourbon at bottling or kegging.
    Carbonate on the low side. Don’t serve it too cold…. 55-degrees is the lower limit… 60 is better.

It is very enjoyable to watch this beer develop over time. It is good young, but becomes more complex with age. While not a really hoppy beer, the hops are very prominent in it’s character, and hang in there for several months. The Bourbon adds a bit of Oak flavor. All in all, a very good beer for late fall and winter….. very complex, smooth and warming.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Just to be a good guy I converted all the decimal pounds of grain to ounces......
  • C_BC_B
    You're a real team player.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt

You're a real team player.

I try........ (actually I just didn't want to provide you all with quite so much entertainment....)
  • C_BC_B
    I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.

I warm a pint glass in the sink, then pour the beer from the tap, warms it slightly, then maybe a few minutes to rest, and you are getting pretty near serving temp
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

SeaBee said:

I warm a pint glass in the sink, then pour the beer from the tap, warms it slightly, then maybe a few minutes to rest, and you are getting pretty near serving temp

That sounds effective. I'm probably going to fudge my kegerator up a couple degrees, but It's balanced where it's at right now.

I wish I had made this beer two months ago...

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

azscoob said:

SeaBee said:

That sounds effective. I'm probably going to fudge my kegerator up a couple degrees, but It's balanced where it's at right now.

I wish I had made this beer two months ago...

So do I, I'm going to brew it up soon, bottle some off for later, and chug the rest.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    I came real close to brewing this next myself.... but went with the robust porter instead.... I will brew it here soon though .... it's tasty stuff!
  • ceanntceannt
    OK... this is on deck for my next brewday.
    It's a little late, but better late than not at all!
    My supplier is out of the crystal 90.... so am going with crystal 120, rather than waiting for them to get more in... who knows, maybe it will be better...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

My supplier is out of the crystal 90.... so am going with crystal 120, rather than waiting for them to get more in... who knows, maybe it will be better...

A full lb of 120, or 3/4's?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

A full lb of 120, or 3/4's?

Cut it back to 3/4..... that's a lot of 120.....
  • ceanntceannt
    The brown sugar will dry it out a tad .... but still .....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

brown sugar doesn't really dry stuff out much due to the molasses.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

"a tad"... not much, but I can notice it
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

"a tad"... not much, but I can notice it

i'll take your word for it. i actually think brown suga'sweetens.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    It leaves some residual flavor .. but I don't know that I would call it sweetness .. plus, I typically use light brown sugar ... more likely to have it in the house