Wicked Angel brew and swap.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i will be sending mine soon. was going to send it last week, but then its starting to clarify nicely in the keg, so i figured i would wait a bit to send it.
    sure does get me drunk quick!
  • BenvarineBenvarine

i will be sending mine soon. was going to send it last week, but then its starting to clarify nicely in the keg, so i figured i would wait a bit to send it.
    sure does get me drunk quick!

Me too, or I think so, I don't remember all that much.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    oh yeah.....benvarine tried my wicked angel.......then 2 minutes later he was drunk. it was pretty funny.
    granted, there were lots of varieties of homebrew passed around that day.....but the wicked angel with its 11.5% was kinda the dark horse the messed everybody up.
    don't worry though, wife came home last friday and declared she was going to drink two; which she did.....then she got blabbery drunk....and fairly quicked passed out on the couch. equally funny.
  • ThymThym
    im really forward to cracking open benvarine's spin on the brew this weekend.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

im really forward to cracking open benvarine's spin on the brew this weekend.

lol good luck with that Lake
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    @benvarine it came out a lot like my last batch, a bit more plum and suspended yeast than intended for the recipe (i think its a ferm temp thing, i think this one needs to be pushed down to 64 during the main fermentation). Just the right bitterness and flavor. No hop nose (i'm assuming you followed my late hop, no dry)

The yeast amount in the bottle is pretty high, which contributes to the cloudiness, but not a real concern.

Overall I would rate this pretty high.
    IMG_6478_web.png
    400 x 600 - 502K
    IMG_6479_web.png
    400 x 600 - 562K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks tasty.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    No, I was overcome by Fry's insistent need to dry hop, so I did, contrary to your receipe. Glad you like it, a bit spicy taste. I am pretty much stuck with the temp my basement can get to, so typically around 67-68. When the AC is on, closer to 65. Maybe I should try again this summer.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

No, I was overcome by Fry's insistent need to dry hop, so I did, contrary to your receipe. Glad you like it, a bit spicy taste. I am pretty much stuck with the temp my basement can get to, so typically around 67-68. When the AC is on, closer to 65. Maybe I should try again this summer.

Interesting. I can safely say the dry hopping did nothing on this batch. I could send a bottle of mine and you would find the same hop profile.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Let me give the receipe.

9lb briess DME golden light
    1.5 corn sugar on day 3
    12 oz crystal 20L
    8 oz cara-pils

1oz galena 60 min
    .5 oz cluster 60 min
    1 oz cascade 30 min
    .5 oz cluster 30 min
    2 oz cascade 15 min
    2 oz cascade 5 min
    2 oz Czech saaz 5 min
    2 oz Czech saaz 1 min
    4 oz cascade day 7

OG 1.084, FG 1.018. 8.7% ABV

Racked after 14 days, then dry hopped for 7 days. Bottled after that and bottle carbed and condition on 3/4/2012. Took 14 days to carb well. Seems to not have changed much since.

Comments?
  • ThymThym
    @frydogbrews did you try bens angel?

Ben, that looks pretty consistent with my recipe. Different hops but very simillar resulting hop profile. What yeast did you use?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Safale 05 dry yeast.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm finally bottling this tonight. The sample was still a bit hot. Which surprised me. 1.012 FG with Lake's recipe.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

@frydogbrews did you try bens angel?

Ben, that looks pretty consistent with my recipe. Different hops but very simillar resulting hop profile. What yeast did you use?

i did, i thought it was tasty, but lower alcohol than i expect from an IIPA.

this does inspire me to bottle mine this weekend and send it around.

really gonna try to do that this weekend!

i thought his dry hopping was apparent though, i'm wondering if shipping it in air (where it gets pretty damn hot) doesn't mess up the dry hopped aromatics.....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    mine was 11.5% because of lots of honey and using maple sap instead of any water. its a different beast entirely, and truthfully, i'm a little afraid of it.
  • ThymThym

I'm finally bottling this tonight. The sample was still a bit hot. Which surprised me. 1.012 FG with Lake's recipe.

1.010-1.012 is where you should land. good job. surprised it would be hot.. unless it was fermented warm, it should be silky smooth.
  • ThymThym

mine was 11.5% because of lots of honey and using maple sap instead of any water. its a different beast entirely, and truthfully, i'm a little afraid of it.

i'm really looking forward to trying that.
  • C_BC_B
    Fermented cool. Then got too cool so I warmed it up. I need ferm temp control...
    Lakewood said:

1.010-1.012 is where you should land. good job. surprised it would be hot.. unless it was fermented warm, it should be silky smooth.

• C_BC_B

Fermented cool. Then got too cool so I warmed it up. I need ferm temp control...

Lakewood said:

It started at 62 or so then I moved it upstairs when we got a cold snap and i was afraid it would get too cold over night. It was at 68 or 69 after a couple days and had slowed down when I added the corn sugar and moved it back to the basement where 12 hours later it was 62 degrees. I'm afraid that the corn sugar fermented hot before it cooled back down.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

It started at 62 or so then I moved it upstairs when we got a cold snap and i was afraid it would get too cold over night. It was at 68 or 69 after a couple days and had slowed down when I added the corn sugar and moved it back to the basement where 12 hours later it was 62 degrees. I'm afraid that the corn sugar fermented hot before it cooled back down.

I usually ferm around 68. It should be good
  • C_BC_B
    Having another tonight. It's actually getting good. I thought I really screwed it up, but it's actually decent. I might send this around to see what you all think.