How many kegs in a keezer?
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Narnia.

Lothos
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    !!! I bought a deep freeze yesterday 60bucks. The inside of the "big" section (the section without the corner used up for the compressor and such) is 28x29x(I cant remember how high) inches. The bottom right corner has a section used up for the compressor and such but its like its about 12x12x28 inches. And still has like 12x19x28inches above it thats open. So its a pretty good sized freezer. I think its like 14-16 cubic feet all together. I'm gonna get a temp controller and make it a kegerator. I will post the build with pics along the way.

Lothos
    How many kegs you think she'll hold?

Lothos
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

At least three I'd guess. Probably four.

Lothos

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

CurlyFat said:

At least three I'd guess. Probably four.

thats it? man it looks bigger than that.

Lothos
    the bottom square diameter is 28x29ish inches. kegs should be 9in diameter right? that means i should be able to get 6-9 in there right?

Lothos
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

the bottom square diameter is 28x29ish inches. kegs should be 9in diameter right? that means i should be able to get 6-9 in there right?

I think you're right. I was thinking kegs were 12", but that's not right at all.

Lothos

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• BenSBenS

I'm thinking 5-6.

Lothos
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • LothosLothos
    how many cubic feet is it
    Ain't that a Bitch
    not sure how many cubic feet for certain. but those are the dimensions. that section is at least 12.x cubic feet so im guessing 14-16 cubic feet.
  • C_BC_B

not sure how many cubic feet for certain. but those are the dimensions. that section is at least 12.x cubic feet so im guessing 14-16 cubic feet.

I think the 13.something cuft ones are the most common for kegerator builds. I would guess at least 6 kegs.
    well by the dimensions given if a keg is 9in in diameter then 9 should fit. its at least 28x28x28 which means even if they were 9 inch squares they should fit.
  • C_BC_B
    Ball lock?

well by the dimensions given if a keg is 9in in diameter then 9 should fit. its at least 28x28x28 which means even if they were 9 inch squares they should fit.

then there is that extra room above where the compressor and stuff is.

Lothos
  • LothosLothos

I think the 13.something cuft ones are the most common for kegerator builds. I would guess at least 6 kegs.

ok i have a 7.5 cubic ft freezer and i and get 5 in mine
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B

co2 tank.

Lothos

Ball lock?

dunno. I just found the dimensions of some kegs online. it said 9in diameter. It may not be right...

Lothos
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

ok i have a 7.5 cubic ft freezer and i and get 5 in mine

Oh. Maybe I'm wrong? I know it's shocking, but it happens once in a while.

Lothos

co2 tank.

and cases of canned beer. Would it be better to keep the co2 in the fridge or out?

Lothos
  • LothosLothos

co2 tank.

Co2 on outside line threw side to gang valve
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B

Ball lock?

dunno. I just found the dimensions of some kegs online. it said 9in diameter. It may not be right...

Ball lock 8.5 x 25.

Lothos
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

co2 tank.

If he builds a collar to elevate the lid otherwise this will be dead space.

Lothos

well if it's too short then none.

Its not too short. its the height inside of a normal deep freeze.

Lothos
  • LothosLothos

Lothos said:

co2 tank.

Build a collar i did out of 2x4s going to change it to 2x6s with oak fachia 1" thick sanded and stained light to bring out the wood texture
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos

Lothos said:

co2 tank.

and its a good place to put the taps also
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B

Lothos said:

Lothos said:

co2 tank.

and its a good place to put the taps also

Agreed. I like the ability to mount the gas distribution/shut offs on that surface inside in the back also.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So lets take this keg convo outside?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
    how would it be too short? its 28 or a little more to the rim then the lid has a depression in it which makes it even taller. I'm not making a collar because the lid mechanism is pretty good... it holds itself open.
  • C_BC_B

how would it be too short? its 28 or a little more to the rim then the lid has a depression in it which makes it even taller. I'm not making a collar because the lid mechanism is pretty good... it holds itself open.

I was referring to it being too short on the hump for a keg. Sounds like you have plenty of room for enough kegs. I would put the co2 on the hump and keep all the plumming inside.On ball lock kegs you don't need any extra room for the QD's once they are attached and the line is out of the way.
    I should still have room for some canned yuengling premium for the nights where everyone is out to drink 10+ beers. I cant afford to give them all homebrew to get wasted
  • LothosLothos

dosnt matter if theres room the collar is for mounting taps on to drill through so you dont hit a freon line in the cooler base. It still will open great you just mount the lid with the springs and the hinges on the spacer
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos

looks like its a bunch of party taps. or a tap stand on the lid
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

you could install a collar just for the front to hold the taps, then two wedge shaped pieces on the sides so that the lid lies flush.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

Lothos said:

you could install a collar just for the front to hold the taps, then two wedge shaped pieces on the sides so that the lid lies flush.

This would be pretty cool looking.
    I was just gonna drill the side. I'm sure not every side has coolant lines, right?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I was just gonna drill the side. I'm sure not every side has coolant lines, right?

maybe not, but how would you know?
  • LothosLothos

maybe not, but how would you know?

well you might get lucky and miss the coolent lines and ya might be buying a new freezer
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
    A rudimentary way to find the coolant lines is to turn the freezer on the coldest setting and come back in an hour or so. The sides with lines should be warm. The only sure bet is a collar or a tower off the lid. But that has its own set of costs and problems.
  • ThymThym
    Take a few pictures of the freezer from all around it. (And post them here)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos

A rudimentary way to find the coolant lines is to turn the freezer on the coldest setting and come back in an hour or so. The sides with lines should be warm. The only sure bet is a collar or a tower off the lid. But that has its own set of costs and problems.

2 x 4 or 2 x 6 es and screws and a little food grade silicone not that much cost
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

2 x 4 or 2 x 6 es and screws and a little food grade silicone not that much cost

compared to the cost of the shanks and faucets, it's nothing at all.
  • C_dubbs said:

What is Narnia?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

What is Narnia?

ask your local librarian.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe I believe. I read so long ago I can't remember. I started watching The Chronicles of Narnia movie years ago and was wondering why it seemed so familiar.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe I believe. I read so long ago I can't remember. I started watching The Chronicles of Narnia movie years ago and was wondering why it seemed so familiar.

The chronicles of Narnia are a collection of books by C.S. Lewis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Narnia

They've made the first three books into movies, but there are four more to go. The last book will never make it into film, way too preachy.

• frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    c.s. lewis = crazy christian!
  • FuzzyFuzzy

c.s. lewis = crazy christian!

yep. that's why i like him. :bz