Coffee in Beer
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This discussion was created from comments split from somewhere else.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    Anyone use coffee in a stout? A friend is asking if you grind or leave as whole bean? I would think whole bean. Would you dump in loose or bag?
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

Anyone use coffee in a stout? A friend is asking if you grind or leave as whole bean? I would think whole bean. Would you dump in loose or bag?

Cold press the coffee for a day and add it to secondary. Make it a concentrated cold press though so you don't dilute the beer too much.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    BenS said:

jlw said:

Cold press the coffee for a day and add it to secondary. Make it a concentrated cold press though so you don't dilute the beer too much.

do this. it's way more deliciouser.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I've done a dry stout with cold brewed coffee. It has a much smoother, pleasant coffee flavor. I highly recommend this method.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Just make sure that your sanitation is good, because you're not heating the coffee.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I've also heard of people adding grounds to a hop bag with their late addition hops. I've never tried this, as I generally don't care for coffee beers. What ever you do, don't boil it for an hour. That does bad things to coffee.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenSBenS

Just make sure that your sanitation is good, because you're not heating the coffee.

If you pour the cold pressed coffee off the beans you can sanitize it by heating it past 170F in the microwave with minimal astrigency because the beans are no longer steeping.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Could you just add coffee late in the boil? Or in secondary?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Could you just add coffee late in the boil? Or in secondary?

i do it at bottling time.