Hop Spider
  • ThymThym
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Bulk Hops from Hopsdirect.com.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    Here's a cheap Hop Spider for anyone interested. Total cost was about $7 and that includes:

1 x 3" to 2" PVC Reducer
    4 x 5.5" Carriage Bolts
    8 x 1/4-20 Hex Bolts
    8 x 1/4 Flat Washers
    1 x 3" worm clamp
    1 x 1 Gallon Paint Strainer

yes i borrowed it off the internet
    hop spider.jpg
    599 x 450 - 87K
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Thanks lothos... I'll be building one of those soon.
  • LothosLothos
    well see i usually use the small hop bags that cost $.50 from the brew store fill it with hops tie it off and throw it in when the wort is done throw it away

that includes pellet hops also
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    I'll probably use stainless steel screen mesh, so it's easy to clean and permanent.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Ok, I give. What is a hop spider?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Ok, I give. What is a hop spider?

scroll up. a hop spider is a simple tool that holds a hop bag. it keeps it from sinking towards the burners/heating element, while keeping the opening of the bag open for further additions.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I saw the photo, so it just sits at the top of the boil the entire time? Cool.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

I saw the photo, so it just sits at the top of the boil the entire time? Cool.

yeah, i really need to get on building one of those. i think i am going to make one that is wider though. i would fear that the hops would still bunch up in really hoppy batches and that's mostly what i make
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    One issue I will have is brewing 5g bathes in my keggle. The wort is a long way from the top of the keggle. The hop bag would have to be huge or I will need to modify the way the bag hangs. Or just brew 10g batches.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    for my last brew I used a wire strainer and some wire. I just rested the handle on the side of the pot and adjusted the wire to hold the other end so that it was in the wort (adding a little length as it boiled down). It worked okay since I only use 1oz of pellets. Wouldn't work for the hop-head like Fry. I feel like a normal colander would work alright with whole cone hops, just add a wire hanger for each handle... I guess it wouldn't be as good as the spider posted... I'd like to have one of those... some day... some day... I want a lot of things.
    Can someone post a pic of one in use and or about to be in use, I'm still a little unsure of how this design is used.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    from the original discussion:

they make a spider for hops? i just use my regular spider from the kitchen to scoop them out. 3 or 4 scoops and pretty much all hops are taken out.

hop spider

• JayrizzleJayrizzle

from the original discussion:

Oh, right, as mentioned in the first post... some how I missed that. Thanks
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

I'll probably use stainless steel screen mesh, so it's easy to clean and permanent.

This and This is why
  • ThymThym
    Ok. so i'm getting ready to source some material on this... what size mesh would you think will work best. I want it large enough that the boiling wort will roll through the mesh freely, but fine enough to keep most of the hop particulate contained.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Ok. so i'm getting ready to source some material on this... what size mesh would you think will work best. I want it large enough that the boiling wort will roll through the mesh freely, but fine enough to keep most of the hop particulate contained.

i would think it would have to be pretty fine to keep pelletized hop material from getting out.
  • ThymThym
    there are a lot of different sizes... i'm looking for some guidance on roughly where on the standard sizing i should aim. 20x20, 40x40, higher?
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

there are a lot of different sizes... i'm looking for some guidance on roughly where on the standard sizing i should aim. 20x20, 40x40, higher?

I have been thinking about building one of these as well. I'll see what I can find on the interwebs.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

awesome. i'm thinking a 16 mesh will be effective. it really helps to see the hand in the picture for reference.
  • jlwjlw
    I was looking at the 14 too. I wonder of the 3x3 swath is enough?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

3" x 3" is a sheet of toilet paper... i'm drawing something up right now. mcmaster has a 12"x24" sheet for $5 http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-wire-cloth/=g7vfny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

3" x 3" is a sheet of toilet paper... i'm drawing something up right now. mcmaster has a 12"x24" sheet for $5 http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-wire-cloth/=g7vfny

Clearly didn't look close enough. i thought it a 3'x3' sheet.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Oh, and when you finish the design I would like to see. Can you post a file or email it?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Oh, and when you finish the design I would like to see. Can you post a file or email it?

Yeah, I'll post it up here. I'm trying a few different shapes to get the most out of a 12x24. I may go up to 12x36. I'll post a few designs and show how the scale with a keggle.
  • ThymThym
    ok so this is a half baked, incomplete design, but i wanted to share a bit of where the design is at. im thinking just a couple of brass rod hangers to set the depth. I want to figure out an attachment scheme that allows it to be hung a different heights depending on the size of your boil. anyway, take a look, let me know what you think.

hopCage.PNG
    330 x 501 - 64K
  • ThymThym
    in case you are wondering how (well) that fits on a 12x24" sheet of material...

cage.jpg
    1026 x 658 - 63K
  • jlwjlw
    Cool design. Just put it on the to do list for the next few months.
  • ThymThym
    im still working on this conceptually... im thinking i'll buy some inexpensive brass screen and make a prototype.
  • ThymThym
    although if i can find a good deal on the brass screen material i may just make something the full size of the keggle opening.
  • jlwjlw
    Keep me posted.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Keep me posted.

This. I'm very interested.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    the stainless idea is interesting. I've been using paint strainer bags just clamped to the edge of the keggle opening. It has an elastic top. So all I do is pull the elastic open dump in the hops and release. Then to clean it I wash it in the clothes washing machine on HOT with my BIAB bag and a scoop of oxyclean.