Braised Country Ribs
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Whenever I see the 'country ribs' on sale, I always pick up a smack package of them for this. I tried cooking them this way once and have been hooked on it ever since. You'll have to forgive my measurements on this recipe, as I usually just toss it together, and it comes out great. Even the temps don't seem to matter too much.

What you'll need:

1 package country ribs.
    Dark beer
    Onions
    Garlic
    Pepper
    Worcestershire sauce

Chop up the onions and garlic pretty fine, so that it dissolves into the cooking liquid. Add the beer, pep, ribs, and worshy sauce (about 1 tbsp) to a square pan so that it covers about 2/3 of the meat. You can sear the ribs in a pan with olive oil first, but i never bother. To cook, I normally toss the whole thing in my toaster oven at about 350F, flipping the meat when the top of the ribs start to dry out a little bit. It's ready when they get nice and tender, which usually takes around 1.5 hrs. This is a dish that takes well to the grill, if the weather is nice enough. set up the coals for indirect grilling, but place the pan so that a small area of it is over the edge of the coals. You'll need just a little direct heat to reduce the liquid into a nice glaze. Once the meat is done, I like to take the liquid in the pan and throw it over some fire (range or coals) and reduce it down to a sauce, which is why I don't add any salt other than the worshy sauce. Pour the sauce over the meat and the potatoes you should have also cooked, and you have a killer meal.

This is a good recipe to mess around with, as well. I've added balsamic, herbs, and numerous types of beer with great results. The best beer I've used so far was a shwarz, but stout and porter (not sweet) work great as well.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    I made Agnes's based on this recipe and ingredients. It was fantastic.
  • BenSBenS
    This looks great fz. To late for tonight. Already had them on the grill before I saw this. Thank goodness I bought 10lbs on sale for 9$. I've got about 7lbs left to play around with.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    BenS said:

This looks great fz. To late for tonight. Already had them on the grill before I saw this. Thank goodness I bought 10lbs on sale for 9$. I've got about 7lbs left to play around with.

that's a good price! they were $4/lb last time i was in the store, had to pass em up.
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

that's a good price! they were $4/lb last time i was in the store, had to pass em up.

Yea. They usually sell for $3/lb here. About 3-4 times a year the local grocery store puts them on sale for $.90/lb though. I usually buy about 30lbs during this week. I love pork.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • LothosLothos

Whenever I see the 'country ribs' on sale, I always pick up a smack package of them for this. I tried cooking them this way once and have been hooked on it ever since. You'll have to forgive my measurements on this recipe, as I usually just toss it together, and it comes out great. Even the temps don't seem to matter too much.

What you'll need:

1 package country ribs.
    Dark beer
    Onions
    Garlic
    Pepper
    Worcestershire sauce

Chop up the onions and garlic pretty fine, so that it dissolves into the cooking liquid. Add the beer, pep, ribs, and worshy sauce (about 1 tbsp) to a square pan so that it covers about 2/3 of the meat. You can sear the ribs in a pan with olive oil first, but i never bother. To cook, I normally toss the whole thing in my toaster oven at about 350F, flipping the meat when the top of the ribs start to dry out a little bit. It's ready when they get nice and tender, which usually takes around 1.5 hrs. This is a dish that takes well to the grill, if the weather is nice enough. set up the coals for indirect grilling, but place the pan so that a small area of it is over the edge of the coals. You'll need just a little direct heat to reduce the liquid into a nice glaze. Once the meat is done, I like to take the liquid in the pan and throw it over some fire (range or coals) and reduce it down to a sauce, which is why I don't add any salt other than the worshy sauce. Pour the sauce over the meat and the potatoes you should have also cooked, and you have a killer meal.

This is a good recipe to mess around with, as well. I've added balsamic, herbs, and numerous types of beer with great results. The best beer I've used so far was a shwarz, but stout and porter (not sweet) work great as well.

sorry i had to tell ya Worcestershire sauce

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?&p=how+its+made+worcestershire+sauce&vid=d7e3aacb341d1b994aa714ccec0291fa&dt=1270796400&l=185&turl=http://ts4.mm.bing.net/videos/thumbnail.aspx?q=1449714583039&id=f5b0086df849fa4aa031d9174a7c6328&bid=D%2btAVj9FfjfXcg&bn=Thumb&url=http%3a%2f%2fscience.discovery.com%2fvideos%2fhow-its-made-7-worcestershire-sauce.html&rurl=http://science.discovery.com/videos/how-its-made-7-worcestershire-sauce.html&tit=How+It's+Made:+Worcestershire+Sauce&sigr=12c8g4abr&newfp=1
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

sorry i had to tell ya Worcestershire sauce

and...

everybody knows that it's rotten sardine juice. it's still delicious. this is a site devoted to the drinkers of fungus pee, after all.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    fermented fish juice is delicious, if you haven't put it on pasta, do it.
    go do it now.....i'll wait.

yeah...

pretty tasty right?
  • LothosLothos
    no thank you i'll pass on that one lol /:)
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    there are all sorts of wonderful things out there that have strange or disturbing processes behind them.

Ever try a fermented duck egg? OMG it's good. But it looks disgusting and the whole concept of intentionally eating an egg that has rotten through is pretty gross.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    hell.. what's sauerkraut...
  • ThymThym
    and who was that chick? I thought Mike Rowe did all of those shows...