• ceanntceannt
    This is an interesting historical brew from the Posnan area of West Prussia. It was very popular in Northern Germany, and was late addition hopped far more than any other German beer I have ever ran across. This is one that I have wanted to brew for a long time, but don’t have the ability to smoke that much grain easily. Made entirely from wheat smoked over white oak, this beer is a real weird one by modern German standards. I have Saaz hops listed below… Lublin would be better, if you can find it… but the Saaz is similar enough. To be entirely authentic, leave out the chocolate wheat, and toast 7% of the smoked wheat until it is a “deep copper color”.
    This would have been fermented with an Alt type yeast rather than what we think of as a “Wheat beer” yeast.

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.057
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.014
    (Bitterness) IBU = 45
    (Color) SRM = 12
    (Alcohol) APV = 5.5%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 182

For a 5-gallon batch:

Grain:
    Pounds: Type:

10 wheat malt, White oak smoked

0.1875 chocolate wheat

1 rice hulls

Hops:
    Variety: Oz.: Boil Time:

Saaz 1 60

Saaz 2 20

Saaz 3 5

Alt yeast such as K-97

Single Infusion Mash at 149. Batch sparge twice. (the original did not use a decoction mash, but used a step mash with a long protein rest … modern malts make this not only unnecessary, but potentially detrimental). This should be carbonated fairly high.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    cool!
    Now if you could just find a source for white oak smoked wheat malt..........
  • ceanntceannt
    This beer is kind of interesting... most smoked beers have little in the way of hop flavor/aroma... and this one should be full of hop character.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

cool!
    Now if you could just find a source for white oak smoked wheat malt..........

ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/weyermannr-oak-smoked-pale-wheat-malt.html
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh you're good.....
  • ceanntceannt
    now... go forth and brew!
  • CZsCZs
    OH YES - this is on my to do list - saucesome - yes, saucesome
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

OH YES - this is on my to do list - saucesome - yes, saucesome

Sweet!
    its been on my to brew list for so long I have to wonder if I'll ever get to it ....
  • CZsCZs
    I have a business call in 30 minutes and frankly, I'd rather be brewing this . . .

This weekend is supposed to be nice and stormy and would be perfect for being stuck inside - I have some Goose Island brews that needs some drinking - I'm patiently waiting for my Grisette. Another 8 days and it will be reaaaaallly drinkable. Anyways, have to go to in-laws (harumph) so no brewing this weekend. Next weekend might be the Brown and Witbier - at least the Brown
  • ceanntceannt
    I would always rather be brewing......
    my sympathies about in-laws trip....
  • CZsCZs
    well Ceannt, any news on the older-style front?
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

Not really.... going to do the Kotbusser next... I reckon I should start thinking about ordering ingredients.....
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

Not really.... going to do the Kotbusser next... I reckon I should start thinking about ordering ingredients.....

Excellent. Most Excellent. Gettin' geaked for the wife's Brown Ale and the Witbier - need to go to store and get raisins and figs, amaretto to make the puree for her Northwest Ale yeast to chew up
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Excellent. Most Excellent. Gettin' geaked for the wife's Brown Ale and the Witbier - need to go to store and get raisins and figs, amaretto to make the puree for her Northwest Ale yeast to chew up

Sounds like an arab beer ......
    just add a lot of honey and spice it with cardamom cinnamon and long pepper
  • ceanntceannt
    Thinking about brewing this for my "annual wacky summer beer"

but I have to wonder if its "wacky" enough to qualify....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

not really wacky at all, but brew it anyway.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Add some more hops. That'll make it whacky in my book.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    OK..... my "normal" supplier is now carrying the oak smoked wheat malt... :D

Out of Lublin hops though..... the Saaz should be similar enough... and the smoke should mask any difference....

So.... this is now "on-deck" right after the Kotbusser!
  • ceanntceannt
    Two old obscure outlaw German beers in a row! yay!
  • ceanntceannt
    I may just go ahead and brew these a week or two apart.... I'll use my old fermenter for this one... and start just using it just for smoked beers
  • CZsCZs
    just wondering how this went?
  • ceanntceannt
    Still haven't brewed it ... :(
  • ThymThym
    You gonna remedy that?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this year?
  • ceanntceannt
    Mayhap I will ...