WGV "showcase" Ale
  • ceanntceannt
    I was brewing up the “Scottish Stout” (thanks to the generosity of a couple of members of this site, who sent me hops, after I foolishly didn’t order any) fully intending to bitter with two ounces of Whitbread Goldings Variety hops. As I was draining the second sparge… I realized that I just couldn’t do it… I simply could not bring myself to boil off the wonderful flavor and aroma of one of the most delightful hop varieties ever. I had the scale set up, and the bag in my hand, and I thought… “4-ounces of WGV? I can do so much better with this” So the stout got an ounce of centennial (thanks lake), and 0.7 ounces of left-over fuggle hop pellets… it will be fine.
    By the time the stout started to boil, I had the following recipe mapped out in my mind…. All I need is an imaginative name for it…

For a 5-gallon batch:
    (Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.074
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.019
    (Bitterness) IBU = 64
    (Color) SRM = 15
    (Alcohol) APV = 7.2%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 240

10 pounds Pale Malt
    3 pounds Munich Malt (7L)
    9- ounces Crystal 60
    3-ounces chocolate malt

1-ounce Target hops 60-min.
    1-ounce WGV 10-minutes
    1-ounce WGV 5-minutes
    2-ounces WGV flameout
    S-04 yeast
    Mash at 155 (single infusion) Boil first runnings during first sparge rest.
    Batch sparge twice. (rest 20-minutes)

I originally thought to make my normal unnatural offspring of an ESB and an English IPA, but wanted to do something a little different, more of an amber, with a different malt profile. I think the WGV hops will really shine in here.
    (I also have plans for the whole leaf fuggles that came in the mail too… be great dry hopped in a “fix” for the arrogant bastard)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

All I need is an imaginative name for it…

something about a gold mine?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Brew this now!

The Gold Standard
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Brew this now!

The Gold Standard

Its next up!
    (No "what the heck am I gonna brew next" this time!)
    I will take the suggestion under consideration ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Oops ... I just noticed that "The gold standard" is what I had in mind for the Golden Promise ... First Gold .. single malt single hop brew I have been planning for a year or two .....
  • ceanntceannt
    Any more good ideas??????
  • ceanntceannt
    Just got the ingredients stuck in the "shopping cart"
    All I have to do is pull the trigger in a couple weeks
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Beefeater's Delight

Bitter Royale

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    goldings locks and the 7 ounces : of course this means you have to add a 2oz dry hop
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

goldings locks and the 7 ounces : of course this means you have to add a 2oz dry hop

wasn't Goldilocks the one with the three ounces? (The first beer was too hoppy... the second too sweet... but the third was just right...)

I think the seven ounces was snow white.....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

wasn't Goldilocks the one with the three ounces? (The first beer was too hoppy... the second too sweet... but the third was just right...)

seven ounces of snow white? y'all are going to jail for a long time.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

I take it you are the ounce named Dopey ...?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

close, but nope.

I'm sleepy.
    Lake is sneezy.
    Scoob is Happy. (what happy dwarf wouldn't chuck brake lathes at people?)
    Uncle Kenny is Grumpy. :-L
    Curly is dopey. the videos prove it.
    Doc is Doc, obviously.
    and
    CB is bashful. or at least he should be with all that shame.

Thym
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

close, but nope.

I'm sleepy.
    Lake is sneezy.
    Scoob is Happy. (what happy dwarf wouldn't chuck brake lathes at people?)
    Uncle Kenny is Grumpy. :-L
    Curly is dopey. the videos prove it.
    Doc is Doc, obviously.
    and
    CB is bashful. or at least he should be with all that shame.

=))
  • ceanntceannt
    well done! and all fit so dang well.... almost too well
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

yeah, you're right. i got my fairy tales mushed up.. 3oz actually lines up with your recipe, right/
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

yeah, you're right. i got my fairy tales mushed up.. 3oz actually lines up with your recipe, right/

be 5 oz total..... with 4 oz of the WGV