What's your favorite/go to yeast?
  • C_BC_B
    Do you have a favorite yeast? Or one you just go to because you know exactly what it does and how it acts?

I seem to prefer WLP005, but that may just be due to washing it and reusing for several batches last spring. I want to find a nice dry strain that I can always have on hand. I'm thinking S-04. If I had some yeast on hand I would have had a spontaneous brewday today.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    S-04
    S-05 is a little more versatile though
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

S-05 is a little more versatile though

this one. it's predictable and consistent. plus, it covers a fairly wide range of styles.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Keep em both on hand
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Has anybody else gotten apricot from S-05? Nottingham is a winner.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    WLP-001
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    S-05 all the time!

love it. works great. will eat anything i throw at it. has a very clean profile when done.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm going to do the chocolate Oatmeal stout split with 005 and 002 just to make sure I prefer 005. At the LHBS today I picked up a pack of S-04 and S-05. I don't really have a plan right off for them, but I need some beer yeast handy!
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I like WLP004.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I don't have a house strain. I am always making different styles and use different yeast. I prefer liquid however.
  • C_BC_B
    Here's a twist on this question... What is your favorite yeast for cider? I'm going to do another store bought apple juice cider because it is fast and super easy. I've used Cotes de Blanc in the past and like that the best over Champagne yeast and Notty. other options? I like a mid range sweet cider. Not stupid dry, but not syrup.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Here's a twist on this question... What is your favorite yeast for cider? I'm going to do another store bought apple juice cider because it is fast and super easy. I've used Cotes de Blanc in the past and like that the best over Champagne yeast and Notty. other options? I like a mid range sweet cider. Not stupid dry, but not syrup.

oddly enough, my favorite so far has been wyeast 3944-belgian wit. it was meh in the glass until i swirled the bottle and dumped the yeast into the glass. then it was really tasty. cider with the fruity esters of a wit.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Lots of people like Notty. Wyeast has some cider or mead yeasts. Have you tried any of those?
    Sign here______________________________
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'd like to give danstar windsor a go at a cider, after i use it for a beer or two. it has a low attenuation rate, so i imagine it would be nice for a not too dry cider.
  • C_BC_B

Lots of people like Notty. Wyeast has some cider or mead yeasts. Have you tried any of those?

I have tried Notty. It's ability to go high temp without getting icky saved a cider/Graff I did at the wrong time of summer. I have not tried Wyeast.
  • C_BC_B
    Windsor. That is something I haven't thought of...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Windsor. That is something I haven't thought of...

i've been meaning to try it for a while. most people tend to like s04 as the favorite for cider. i figure that windsor would be similar, but leave a little more sugar unfermented.
  • CZsCZs
    Being fairly noob, I can say anyone that wants to get into the hobby, especially first AG - needs to really consider 3711 - beastly and extremely forgiving. My favorite though? Gotta be the Wyeast Kolsch 2565 - very clean and smelled a little like white wine. I would consider using this for a heavy wheat or Octoberfest style beer.