Filtering beer
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I have one of those water line filters that I've re-purposed for filtering beer. I've attached qd's so that I can push beer through it from one keg to another.

The question is this: how fine of a filter do I really need? The finer you go, the more expensive they get and I'm not thrilled about spending ~$30 for a .5 micron filter if I that's going to be overkill.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @curlyfat, I know you filter. What's your experience with filters?
  • C_BC_B
    Can you postie a picture of the filter housing? I'm picturing the big in line deal that a lot of guys use to filter brewing water. I'm sure that isn't right...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Can you postie a picture of the filter housing? I'm picturing the big in line deal that a lot of guys use to filter brewing water. I'm sure that isn't right...

i'll take a pic when i get home.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

@curlyfat, I know you filter. What's your experience with filters?

I didn't have much luck with the canister filter. I never got a very clear result, and always oxygenated. I use plate filters now. With the "medium" ( 2 micron?) grade you can get crystal clear beer (I you filter cold to remove any chill haze). Sterile (1 micron...or maybe less, i dont remember) grade leaves a lot of flavor lacking. Coarse (4 micron?) does good and will leave it just before crystal clear.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• scoobscoob
    My filter is an inline filter with the screw on housing that hangs below the main body, I use a 1 micron (actual, not nominal) filter, it is cleanable and reusable, got it for like 50 dollars, I just back flush, clean and sanitize, does a great job for me and I only bought one filter, so it's not a constant money drain.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    5 micron filter was useless, and the .5 micron disposable plugged up in the first couple gallons,
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    You can' clean the canister filters and they are lot more expensive to use those filters vs. the plate filters. Fill the canister with whole leaf hops and run your beer through it to super hop it up before pouring.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I use a 2 plate filter when I'm trying to rush one out. Beer in through the center and through either side. I don't know the microns of my pads though.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    I filter my beer through my liver .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

comes out good n clear too
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

the replacement filters are way out of my price range.