Piping Pig Pub Bitter
  • ceanntceannt
    I typically brew up to 3 batches of Bitter a year. This is one style that I seldom brew the same way twice….. The style has a very broad range, and I like to cover the whole spectrum….. some are darker, some are lighter, sometimes I first wort hop, some I add sugar, some I don’t. I also vary the gravity a good bit… This incarnation turned out especially good, so I thought I would share.
    I have always used Maris Otter Malt for my base malt before, and this was my first with the Optic Malt…. I like it. It doesn’t clump up….. and the mash smelled like heaven….
    This is a very easy, fairly quick beer to brew…. And is very flavorful, well balanced, and easy to drink.

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.059
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.015
    (Bitterness) IBU = 52
    (Color) SRM = 11
    (Alcohol) APV = 5.8%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =189

For a 5-gallon batch:
    9.5 pounds Optic Malt
    12 ounces Crystal malt 60
    1 ounce chocolate malt
    4-ounces Turbinado sugar (added with 15-min. left in boil)
    2-ounces East Kent Goldings hops: 60-minutes
    1-ounce East Kent Goldings hops: 5-minutes
    S-04 yeast.

Single infusion mash at 155 degrees (3.25 gallons strike water)
    Batch sparge twice 2.5 gallons each.

Boil the first runnings during the first sparge rest until it “breaks”.
    Primary only for 4 weeks. Carbonate low.

piping_pig
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I've noticed you recommend this on other recipes as well. What is the benefit? Do you just heat it till hot break then kill the heat until you get the rest of the sparge run into the kettle?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

I've noticed you recommend this on other recipes as well. What is the benefit? Do you just heat it till hot break then kill the heat until you get the rest of the sparge run into the kettle?

Yes... I do this a lot. I just put the first runnings on the heat during the first sparge rest.... it only has to boil until hot break. I then kill the heat, and drain the sparges normally.
    I am not a hundred percent sure of the chemistry involved, but boiling the very high gravity first runnings seems to greatly increase malt flavor.... not quite the same as a decoction mash, but similar.

piping_pig
  • C_BC_B
    I might try this on your Traditional Irish Ale recipe.
  • ceanntceannt
    Cool

Also not a bad idea to increase the sparge rests to 20 minutes
  • scoobscoob
    I'm always down for a bitter, I think I my brew my recipe, and brew yours at the same time, then I can have different bitters to enjoy as the mood suits!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    This batch finally convinced a buddy to try the "first runnings boil technique "..... he was amazed at the flavor..... he had been skeptical..... no more ....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

This batch finally convinced a buddy to try the "first runnings boil technique "..... he was amazed at the flavor..... he had been skeptical..... no more ....

I did that on the beer I made on the fourth. I boiled it for the time the second sparge took, because, well why not? I'll report back in 6-12 weeks on how that turned out.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    about the turbinado, how much does it come through?

i'll probably skip it unless the addition really apparent in the final beer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

It adds a little bit of a rum flavor .... not much. Most examples use demerarra sugar. Its OK to skip the sugars and add more base malt to make up for it. I have brewed many times without ... and it is just as good ... maybe a little less complex
  • ceanntceannt
    One commercial example with a lot of added sugar is Old Speckled Hen ....

I think way too much added sugar ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

It adds a little bit of a rum flavor .... not much. Most examples use demerarra sugar. Its OK to skip the sugars and add more base malt to make up for it. I have brewed many times without ... and it is just as good ... maybe a little less complex

i see. well i hate rum, so i'll skip it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

not a fan of that beer. it's not bad, but just doesn't suit my tastes.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

not a fan of that beer. it's not bad, but just doesn't suit my tastes.

I'm not overly fond of it either ....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

ceannt said:

I did that on the beer I made on the fourth. I boiled it for the time the second sparge took, because, well why not? I'll report back in 6-12 weeks on how that turned out.

Or not, i still haven't bottled it, though it may be more of a freeze concentrate by now... it's cold down there, too cold for lager season, that starts late Feb.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

C_dubbs said:

I need a good ESB recipe to use these in. They certainly smell nice.

I posted a pretty dang good one on here a while back ... I shall hunt for it at lunch

Piping Pig?

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/413/piping-pig-pub-bitter#Item_15

That's it!

Skip the sugar .... bump up the base malt to make up for gravity ... and toss 2 oz in at 5 minutes and another 2 at flame out

This is in reference to using Whitebread Goldings Variety hops in this recipe.
  • C_BC_B
    Would you use WGV for all the hops or something else for bittering? I think I have 5.5 of the WGV left. Which would work if I only did a five gallon batch I guess.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

C_dubbs said:

I need a good ESB recipe to use these in. They certainly smell nice.

I posted a pretty dang good one on here a while back ... I shall hunt for it at lunch

Piping Pig?

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/413/piping-pig-pub-bitter#Item_15

That's it!

Skip the sugar .... bump up the base malt to make up for gravity ... and toss 2 oz in at 5 minutes and another 2 at flame out

This is in reference to using Whitebread Goldings Variety hops in this recipe.

Too really showcase the delightful character of these hops
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

Would you use WGV for all the hops or something else for bittering? I think I have 5.5 of the WGV left. Which would work if I only did a five gallon batch I guess.

You can bitter with something else ....
    Target ... glacier .... just stay away from anything resiny or heavy handed ... its supposed to all boil off ... but it don't
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh .... if you can't get your hands on Optic malt ... dinna fash .... Maris Otter is fine .... or even plain pale malt with a bit of bicuit malt thrown in