Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Keg pressure relief valve not sealing.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    I just added dry hops to a keg yesterday using Azscoob's hanging thread method. Worked like a champ. But now the dang pressure relief is bubbling foam. I'm wondering why it's foam.... But also, why won't the dang thing seal??? I put it in the kegerator with a towel wrapped around it to soak up little bit of beer foam. Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    I should also note that this keg has been in the basement around 60* on 30psi for the last month or so.

    My initial thought is that something is stuck in the valve. My next thought is maybe the valve is old and weak and the higher pressure from the basement at 60* to the first floor at 70* is causing a problem. That's why I put it in the kegerator hoping it will cool down and settle down. I can vent it a couple times after it reaches equilibrium in a day or so and hook it up to gas.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 46,013
    what type? is it the built in one or the threaded kind?

    the threaded kind can be replaced.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461

    what type? is it the built in one or the threaded kind?

    the threaded kind can be replaced.


    Oh good question... built in, welded in, cast in, whatever. I'm pretty sure it doesn't thread in.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 100,733
    C_dubbs said:

    what type? is it the built in one or the threaded kind?

    the threaded kind can be replaced.


    Oh good question... built in, welded in, cast in, whatever. I'm pretty sure it doesn't thread in.


    the welded in type should have a top that threads into the body. unscrew it, clean the sealing surface and lube it up with keg lube. then screw it back int
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 46,013
    for further clarification, i believe he's talking about this type:

    image

    this is the view from the underside:

    image

    i assume that the plastic thingy will come out by unscrewing it, but i haven't had to mess around with mine yet.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    Well shucks... Maybe it's threaded... I'll snap a pic later. It has a pull don't that I can pull to manually vent.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 46,013
    like this?

    image

    or this?
    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 46,013
    you might just have it on there loosely. give it a clockwise twist and see if the foaming stops.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461

    like this?

    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.


    That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    Wow .... has anything worked out right with this beer?

    Thym
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    ceannt said:

    Wow .... has anything worked out right with this beer?


    It's delicious. I mean delicious. I'm not sure I would put up with this kind of crap for every beer, but I'm not too mad about it. It's probably the best actual beer I've made. The apple graff was a huge hit, but I'd say this is right after that.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 100,733
    C_dubbs said:

    like this?

    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.


    That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.


    Was the beer already carbed before you opened the keg back up?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    like this?

    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.


    That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.


    Was the beer already carbed before you opened the keg back up?

    Yep. Which I knew it would foam up. Toss it in, put the top back on quickly. Done. After it's under pressure again it settles down and is fine.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 100,733
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    like this?

    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.


    That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.


    Was the beer already carbed before you opened the keg back up?

    Yep. Which I knew it would foam up. Toss it in, put the top back on quickly. Done. After it's under pressure again it settles down and is fine.


    Not if there is a leaky seal...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    like this?

    image

    because those two can be removed much easier.


    That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.


    Was the beer already carbed before you opened the keg back up?

    Yep. Which I knew it would foam up. Toss it in, put the top back on quickly. Done. After it's under pressure again it settles down and is fine.


    Not if there is a leaky seal...

    Well point out the obvious how 'bout it. :D
    I'm going to add taking the pressure relief valve out to clean and lube it to my keg taredown SOP.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 16,458
    Just covering all the bases here.... Do you still have it connected to gas? If so, is it on the gas fitting? I have pushed co2 in through the beer fitting before in an attemp to carb quicker. A leak means big time foam.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461

    Just covering all the bases here.... Do you still have it connected to gas? If so, is it on the gas fitting? I have pushed co2 in through the beer fitting before in an attemp to carb quicker. A leak means big time foam.



    Nope. Took it off the gas in the basement when I brought it upstairs hasn't been back on since. On that note.... I need to double check what the basement regulator is set to.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    Sooooooo...... Figgered it out.....

    The keg was still leaking in the kegerator, but only a little bit. Like barely enough to notice, but enough to make stinky/sticky down the side of the keg. So, I pulled the keg out of the kegerator tonight and put it in the bathtub to contain any possible mess. When I pulled the lid the dry hop bag came with it, or tried to... The tied off end of the hop bag was wedged into the pressure relief valve. I had to pull on the valve to pull the bag out.

    Problem solved. Now I have mostly flat pale ale. It's good thought.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 100,733
    The beer from hell
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    Maybe it's not as flat as I thought.... Foams a bunch out of the tap. Getting better though.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Posts: 44,679
    that is a seriously high maintenance beer. at least it good though!