Keg pressure relief valve not sealing.
  • C_BC_B
    I just added dry hops to a keg yesterday using Azscoob's hanging thread method. Worked like a champ. But now the dang pressure relief is bubbling foam. I'm wondering why it's foam.... But also, why won't the dang thing seal??? I put it in the kegerator with a towel wrapped around it to soak up little bit of beer foam. Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    I should also note that this keg has been in the basement around 60* on 30psi for the last month or so.

My initial thought is that something is stuck in the valve. My next thought is maybe the valve is old and weak and the higher pressure from the basement at 60* to the first floor at 70* is causing a problem. That's why I put it in the kegerator hoping it will cool down and settle down. I can vent it a couple times after it reaches equilibrium in a day or so and hook it up to gas.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what type? is it the built in one or the threaded kind?

the threaded kind can be replaced.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

Oh good question... built in, welded in, cast in, whatever. I'm pretty sure it doesn't thread in.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Oh good question... built in, welded in, cast in, whatever. I'm pretty sure it doesn't thread in.

the welded in type should have a top that threads into the body. unscrew it, clean the sealing surface and lube it up with keg lube. then screw it back int
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    for further clarification, i believe he's talking about this type:

this is the view from the underside:

i assume that the plastic thingy will come out by unscrewing it, but i haven't had to mess around with mine yet.
  • C_BC_B
    Well shucks... Maybe it's threaded... I'll snap a pic later. It has a pull don't that I can pull to manually vent.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    like this?

or this?

because those two can be removed much easier.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you might just have it on there loosely. give it a clockwise twist and see if the foaming stops.
  • C_BC_B

like this?

That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.
  • ceanntceannt
    Wow .... has anything worked out right with this beer?

Thym
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Wow .... has anything worked out right with this beer?

It's delicious. I mean delicious. I'm not sure I would put up with this kind of crap for every beer, but I'm not too mad about it. It's probably the best actual beer I've made. The apple graff was a huge hit, but I'd say this is right after that.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

like this?

That's the one. Threaded for sure. I just unscrewed it a dab and snugged it back up. Maybe a quarter turn then back. It seemed seated already... I don't *think* it's leaking anymore. What bugs me is when it was leaking I knew it was leaking not by the sound but the foam coming out of the relief valve. Why is the keg's headspace full of foam? Did I jack up sanitation somewhere when I dry hopped? Or just having it carbed before dryhopping was a bad idea. Seemed to work out ok on the last keg of this stuff.

Was the beer already carbed before you opened the keg back up?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

like this?

Yep. Which I knew it would foam up. Toss it in, put the top back on quickly. Done. After it's under pressure again it settles down and is fine.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

like this?

Yep. Which I knew it would foam up. Toss it in, put the top back on quickly. Done. After it's under pressure again it settles down and is fine.

Not if there is a leaky seal...
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

like this?

Not if there is a leaky seal...

Well point out the obvious how 'bout it. :D
    I'm going to add taking the pressure relief valve out to clean and lube it to my keg taredown SOP.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Just covering all the bases here.... Do you still have it connected to gas? If so, is it on the gas fitting? I have pushed co2 in through the beer fitting before in an attemp to carb quicker. A leak means big time foam.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B

Just covering all the bases here.... Do you still have it connected to gas? If so, is it on the gas fitting? I have pushed co2 in through the beer fitting before in an attemp to carb quicker. A leak means big time foam.

Nope. Took it off the gas in the basement when I brought it upstairs hasn't been back on since. On that note.... I need to double check what the basement regulator is set to.
  • C_BC_B
    Sooooooo...... Figgered it out.....

The keg was still leaking in the kegerator, but only a little bit. Like barely enough to notice, but enough to make stinky/sticky down the side of the keg. So, I pulled the keg out of the kegerator tonight and put it in the bathtub to contain any possible mess. When I pulled the lid the dry hop bag came with it, or tried to... The tied off end of the hop bag was wedged into the pressure relief valve. I had to pull on the valve to pull the bag out.

Problem solved. Now I have mostly flat pale ale. It's good thought.
  • ThymThym
    The beer from hell
  • C_BC_B
    Maybe it's not as flat as I thought.... Foams a bunch out of the tap. Getting better though.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    that is a seriously high maintenance beer. at least it good though!