CiderBomb! How far will it go?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Only when the ABV gets stupid like this does it need to rest so long.
    Sign here______________________________
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    most cider made from fresh pressed juice is still aged a year though. it doesn't have to be, its delicious after 3 months, but after a year it's groin grabbingly delicious.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Is that the MSM equivalent of panty dropper.
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

Is that the MSM equivalent of panty dropper.

So good you'll slap yer granny
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
    This thing seems stuck. It's still at 1.020 after a transfer, Notty repitch, ec-1118 pitch, O2, and ec-1118 repitch. I might cold crash, transfer, oxygenate, and pitch 1118 once again.
  • ThymThym
    im not a cider wine guy so i freely admit you should probably disregard my opinion, but since i have one, i'll share it.

i would be hesistant to over oxygenate this monster, at this point if it doesnt kick off and you have to just age it out the extra o2 is going to present an issue.

and second thought is this: if i were grabbing at straws the last one i'd reach for would be to pitch a vigorously fermenting EC1118 starter in there, or better yet, slowly go the other way, get a starter going vigorously, then add your nearly finished cider to the fermenting starter a bit at a time, maybe 2 cups per day and see if that doesnt just chomp on the last bit of sugar in there.

of course you have to deal with multiple transfers and all that, but i think that is your absolute best chance of cleaning this one up.

that's my two cents.

*yes, im still thinking like a brewer...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

im not a cider wine guy so i freely admit you should probably disregard my opinion, but since i have one, i'll share it.

i would be hesistant to over oxygenate this monster, at this point if it doesnt kick off and you have to just age it out the extra o2 is going to present an issue.

and second thought is this: if i were grabbing at straws the last one i'd reach for would be to pitch a vigorously fermenting EC1118 starter in there, or better yet, slowly go the other way, get a starter going vigorously, then add your nearly finished cider to the fermenting starter a bit at a time, maybe 2 cups per day and see if that doesnt just chomp on the last bit of sugar in there.

of course you have to deal with multiple transfers and all that, but i think that is your absolute best chance of cleaning this one up.

that's my two cents.

*yes, im still thinking like a brewer...

I'm with you on this one. At least the oxygenate more part of it.

I've read about guys adding the stuck part back to an actively fermenting "starter". But those were beers.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    use apple juice for the starter?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Pitch some distillers yeast,.... And I will now await @frydogbrews smack down
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i wouldn't go turbo yeast yet (or ever)

i had one that i had to re-pitch ec1118 three times before it finally took back off (and that was using 2 packets at each pitch.

that spent 2-3 months stuck like a chump.

stop adding air at this point, the 02 level should be fine until it restarts.
    I got back on this project yesterday. Three packets of EC-1118 spun individually in 600ml of apple juice each for 12 hours or so each (until they showed some foamy activity) and subsequently pitched. Most of the yeast settled down to the bottom fairly quickly, but there is a small amount of activity on the surface and it is making some positive pressure. Good signs.
  • ThymThym
    Yay!
  • ceanntceannt
    How does it look this morning jeep?
    ceannt said:

I'd 'ave to get outta me bed. Mayhap I will when this curvy lass decides to leave me.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

I'd 'ave to get outta me bed. Mayhap I will when this curvy lass decides to leave me.

you make me laugh
    And same as last night. Light foamy yeast raft type stuff.
  • ceanntceannt
    I were hopin' that mayhap ye'd be sayin' that it were belchin' forth gasses like a sailor after too much drink
    I've not a ideal solution fer a bubbler with me thermowell. Just loosely capped at the moment.
    This is what we have at the moment. Looking closely I could see little tiny co2 bubbles.
    image.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 218K
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    lookin good. that's all the activity you see most of the time with wine. especially in your situation with that beast.
    Looks to have fallen a point or two. Good news!
  • ceanntceannt
    Yay!
  • FuzzyFuzzy

like my IQ every six months. :(
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt

like my IQ every six months. :(

Don't limit yourself ....
  • ceanntceannt
    "I'll have you know my eye Q are 20/20!!!!"