CiderBomb! How far will it go?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    How many gravity points does it need to drop after aeration for the soluble O2 to be used up?
    Sign here______________________________
  • BenvarineBenvarine

I bet that was a copy/paste...

Yes, copy and paste. Spoiled my secret. I'm totally less impressive now, but that should come to no surprise.
  • ThymThym

How many gravity points does it need to drop after aeration for the soluble O2 to be used up?

that's a great question, one for which i don't have an analytical answer. but i had a beer that had stalled about 7 points high, i gave it a bit of aeration by giving it a sloppy transfer between carboys, the result was a spike in fermentation activity. the FG dropped to where i wanted it and i never detected any oxidation flavors.

i would just give it a little bit of a splashy swirl, with air in the headspace to get some o2 into solution. dont go to crazy.

of course, as with everything there is no guarantee. but it's worked for me a couple times.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    splash racking has saved many ciders. helps drive off sulfur too!

with a wine like this, you can always just splash the hell out of it and then hit it with campden if you're worried.
    I might splash transfer it back to the 3 gallon better bottle and Brett the extra 1+ gallon.
  • ThymThym

I might splash transfer it back to the 3 gallon better bottle and Brett the extra 1+ gallon.

that's a great idea.
    It's been stuck at 1.020 this whole time. I made a rough transfer to another better bottle tonight. Lets hope for renewed vigor tomorrow.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    aerate and hit with ec-1118
    I will if it doesn't pick up on it's own. I'll have time tomorrow to check on it after work and head back out for yeast if need be.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    at that gravity, the champagne yeast won't throw out any funky flavors, it'll just finish the job.

at that gravity, the champagne yeast won't throw out any funky flavors, it'll just finish the job.

Good deal. I think I'm down to a pack of S-05 and 2 packs of old Montrachet. I'll have to pick a pack up.
    Well, I finally hit it with 2 minutes of O2 and pitched a rehydrated pack of 1118. No activity. No gravity drop after 2-3 days. Is it possible that the 20 gravity points left are unfermentable?
  • ThymThym

Well, I finally hit it with 2 minutes of O2 and pitched a rehydrated pack of 1118. No activity. No gravity drop after 2-3 days. Is it possible that the 20 gravity points left are unfermentable?

Its possible. How does it look/taste?

If its still sweet tasting, then I would expect you can ferment it down.

If you get a package of 1118 going in a small starter of 1.060+ juice you can pitch at high krausen, if that doenst kick fermentation back into gear, nothing will.
    I might be grabbing another pack of 1118 then.
    I haven't tasted it. I can't say whether it is still sweet or not.
  • ThymThym
    Never hurts to have yeast on hand. I'd pick up a few packs of stuff.

Give it a taste when you get home and decide if you need to give it a go.
    I try to keep S-05 and Notty. I don't normally keep wine yeast.
  • ThymThym

I try to keep S-05 and Notty. I don't normally keep wine yeast.

yeah, me too actually. (well substitute s-04 for notty and it's accurate) but I haven't been brewing monsters recently, hence no need for the wine yeast.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

not possible in this scenario.
    with some weird, super ripe fruit or something, maybe, but not with canned juice. aerate and pitch 2 packs of 1118
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm gonna spin up a starter like Lake said and hit it with more O2.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    you shouldn't need to do that. i had a 19% pure cyser (5 gallons apple juice and 15 pounds of honey) stall out and i had to pitch 2 packs, twice, but the second time it rocketed off.
    oddly, vintners pretty much never use starters, and will look at you really funny if you bring it up.
    won't hurt of course, but not necessary. if you only want to use one pack though, it would help.
    Rehydrate only? What temperature? The 104-109F on the pack seems high.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    no rehydrate, just dump in dry. seriously.

its what vintners do and its what i have been doing for several years after many conversations with many different vintners.
  • ThymThym
    the higher temps will help the yeast keep from going dormant in the high booze bath. so pitch in the preferred range.

since the primary fermentation is done you are at very little risk of off flavors from hot fermentation.

If it takes off like a bat out of hell you can slowly drop temps. just dont go too fast or you risk another stall
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    you're still thinking like a brewer though Lake. Wine yeast is much better at functioning in high alcohol as well as cold temps. It's freaky like that.