Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
CiderBomb! How far will it go?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    It has begun! I'm gonna step feed this cider until it quits.

To begin I'm starting small so it can grow as needed. It's 2.5G in a 3G better bottle now. It will probably end up in a 5 or 6 Gallon BB before its all said and done.

2 gallons of 100% apple juice
    4 12oz cans of frozen apple juice concentrate
    3 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient
    1 sachet Nottingham yeast

The juice was 12 brix.
    1 can would raise a 1/2 gallon of juice by 4 brix to 16 brix. So 4 half gallons and 4 cans equals a 16 brix start. That's 1.064 SG.

I have 4 more cans in the freezer but anticipate buying more. I'll do the math as I go.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B
    Neat. This is interesting. It also reminds me I don't have any cider going. Fail.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    So what's the plan, just add concentrate every couple days till it stalls?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Pretty much. I might even leave a hydrometer in it.
  • ThymThym
    Cool. Any projection on the final abv?
    Anything under 15% ABV will be a failure. I'd like to see close to 20%
  • ThymThym

Anything under 15% ABV will be a failure. I'd like to see close to 20%

i've never tasted a 20% aBV cider... is it going to be drinkable?
    I've frozen a cider up to around 20%. It was hot, but not bad. I'm hoping for something better by getting it from the ferment.
  • ThymThym
    What temp are you fermenting at? Low and slow?
  • C_BC_B
    Dang. I thought 15% would be good... Will Notty go that high?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
    Starting low. I will increase as my zen tells me to.

Notty is said to go 11-13% under "normal" conditions but can go to 18%. I'm gonna try to push that.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Starting low. I will increase as my zen tells me to.

Notty is said to go 11-13% under "normal" conditions but can go to 18%. I'm gonna try to push that.

adding nutrients/aerating any with the concentrate additions?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
    I think I will add either nutrient or energizer with the first addition. Some precursory reading on mead making last night suggests only 3 steps and only adding nutrients with the first.

I was planning on adding enough concentrate to bring it back around 1.060 each time. If I'm only adding 3 times I'm gonna have to let it fall pretty low each time. I don't want to risk it going still before getting more sugar in it. I may end up bucking the trend and add 1 can each afternoon instead of 4+ at a time, as long as the gravity is falling. That gives me some insurance against it quitting just after a huge sugar dump. I don't think I want this completely dry, but I want to be able to taste it at the end to decide how much sugar to add back in.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    keep some ec-1118 on hand in case it stalls permanently.
    i made a 20% cyser with with this method. it was 5 gallons of apple juice and 17 pounds of honey or something like that. i mixed it all up at the begninning though and then used staggered nutrient additions to keep it cranking. it's 2.5 years old now and still not drinkable, but i expected 5 years of age before it tasted good.

i made a 20% cyser with with this method. it was 5 gallons of apple juice and 17 pounds of honey or something like that. i mixed it all up at the begninning though and then used staggered nutrient additions to keep it cranking. it's 2.5 years old now and still not drinkable, but i expected 5 years of age before it tasted good.

Good to know. I've read good stuff about 1118, but on my rushed lunch hour purchase I didn't grab any. Will it restart a fermentation that has stopped or just keep one going that has slowed down? When we get into dissolved O2/FAN/pH/ethanol/etc making scientific decisions are out. I just go with my gut.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Good to know. I've read good stuff about 1118, but on my rushed lunch hour purchase I didn't grab any. Will it restart a fermentation that has stopped or just keep one going that has slowed down? When we get into dissolved O2/FAN/pH/ethanol/etc making scientific decisions are out. I just go with my gut.

it will restart a fermentation for sure. you don't want to start with it necessarily because of the gross flavors it will throw it, but i have used it several times to restart fermens that have been completely stopped for months. little aeration and dump it in....boom. go with two packets for this kind of thing.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've been following this thread. It sort of sounds like you will be stressing this thing a bit and for a while. Like torture. Are you concerned about the outcome from stressed yeast. Yeast under stress, except some Brett do not perform at their best or produce desirable results.
    I'm not terribly worried. Oddly the biggest concern seems to be adding too much nutrient too often and causing the yeast to overpopulate.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I'm not terribly worried. Oddly the biggest concern seems to be adding too much nutrient too often and causing the yeast to overpopulate.

too much nutrient will also cause a buildup of sulfur which is very bad.

and benvarine, this method actually causes less stress than just dumping the yeast into something that is 1.14 sg because the beasties are happier in an enviroment that is less sugary than that. as they start pooping out all the alcohol, they get less happy so the nutrient perks them up and hopefully pulls them through.
    If my off the top of my head, notebook in the other room calculations are correct, the can I add in the morning will bring OG to 1.080 and its just now really getting fired up.
    Tomorrow afternoon may see transfer to a 5 gallon better bottle and thus some oxygenation.
    I've reached the limit of my 3 gallon BB. It currently is holding 2 gallons of juice and 120 oz of juice concentrate for a calculated OG of 1.089SG. It is down to 1.032SG for a very sweet near 8% ABV. To go to a 5 gallon BB I'll have to liberate my other larger minifridge. I didn't time these 2 projects well.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    why are you putting it in a fridge?
    Minifridge fermentation chamber. Started bringing the temp up yesterday.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    do you need a chamber this time of year?
    I have one, so why not? It would probably be fine in the front bedroom, but I like the control of starting it out lower and being able to bring it up.

FYI: Corrected OG should be 1.115 or similar now. I keep adding concentrate when it gets between 1.030-1.040SG. After the next 2 cans (1.134?) I'll start letting the gravity fall into the 20s or teens.